Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2013, 15:39
Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 04, 2013, 15:35
I am wrong wrong wrong about everything. God forbid I should suggest buying a lap top that is too expensive for your tastes. Should I not have referred the question to people who do this for living? How elitist of me. Again.

I am telling your what proponents of CC have said to me and how they have questioned, from the towers of academe, my right to make my living the way I do. I doubt they are having the same conversation with the bank clerk or barista. People in music are an easy target as you have demonstrated in spades. Well done you.

Personally I would find that kind of certainty hard to live with.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 04, 2013, 15:40
IanB wrote:
I am sure you must have wondered what someone else was hearing in something they love but is absolutely mystifying to you. Could that not be down to the fact that the actual activity of searching out and buying the artifact might be satisfying in itself and that the actual music could not help but be enjoyable with that kind of opiated thrill behind it?

Or...could it also be they just like something you don't like? They have different sensibilities borne from leading different lives. Stop trying to explain away other people's tastes because they don't match up with yours. The vast majority of music-listeners aren't feigning passion. They genuinely adore the music they love. This objectivism is objectionable. Every person is a different world.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2013, 15:45
Oct 04, 2013, 15:44
Sin Agog wrote:
IanB wrote:
I am sure you must have wondered what someone else was hearing in something they love but is absolutely mystifying to you. Could that not be down to the fact that the actual activity of searching out and buying the artifact might be satisfying in itself and that the actual music could not help but be enjoyable with that kind of opiated thrill behind it?

Or...could it also be they just like something you don't like? They have different sensibilities borne from leading different lives. Stop trying to explain away other people's tastes because they don't match up with yours. The vast majority of music-listeners aren't feigning passion. They genuinely adore the music they love. This objectivism is objectionable. Every person is a different world.

Yes both is possible. Of course. All the time and that cuts both ways. People listening to mainstream music aren't faking it either. I am just saying music (even the cool bits) is not immune from consumerist impulses. I've been there and bought the box set(s) that now gather dust. As have most of us here have I would imagine.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2013, 14:57
Oct 04, 2013, 15:48
stray wrote:
IanB wrote:
stray wrote:
I still think you're a dreadful cock with more than unfortunate opinions though. Also, whats worse, your opinions and attitude is actually the real problem that you're wailing against but you can't see it.

But you can?

You find me dreadful and unfortunate and some kind of cultural Jesuit. I find you at worst a tad over zealous in defending your corner. I just don't understand where this bile is coming from. That said Dreadful Cock is a great name for something. You have inspired me. Yours, DC

PS In the end I suspect all this goes to do is prove the point of the person who started the thread in the first place. Not the first person to be questioned for valuing the mainstream when posting on a board hosted by a former pop star.

Hang about, I'm not the one whose proud to be elitist. I've always hated any form of elitism, particularly in the arts.

Remember this?

"Seriously, when I see kids in Iron Maiden shirts, or even worse with Jim Morrison on their chest, I fear for the cultural future of us all."

No, not elitist at all.

EDIT link for context

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/55790/threaded/696852
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 04, 2013, 15:50
IanB wrote:

I don't like the politics of CC because at heart many of its exponents that I have conversed with do not seem to respect any other way of working. They see other ways of working as an act of submission to capitalism and the market. At best.

er... so you spoke to some idiots then *shrug*. Maybe you should have taken the time to do your own research. Reminds me of the time recently you were waxing on about the dance scene as was until you admitted you knew virtually nothing about it. Then you did go proper 'get off my lawn', with an 'I have these albums (list), I'm happy and need no more' or something like that. Fair enough. But fustrating.

A lot of this, and we've seen this discussion before with you, boils down.. to put it simply 'Everything is Shit.'.. 'But, Ian, what about..'.. 'Nope, that will be shit too'. :) Its a position a lot of us are guilty of sometimes. Modern culture and age does that to all of us. I'm just begging for less divisive and elitist bollocks is all, that's the real problem with music at the moment (if there is a problem, which I don't think there is).

You complained about the positive review because the reviewer mistakingly attributed certain content as such and such, whereas if they actually knew their music properly they wouldn't have done that. That's um.. an unhealthy attitude to have to a willing audience for me.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 04, 2013, 15:55
IanB wrote:

"Seriously, when I see kids in Iron Maiden shirts, or even worse with Jim Morrison on their chest, I fear for the cultural future of us all."

No, not elitist at all.

Holy shit how far back did you go to get that, and why the fuck did you bother ? Oh my word. What are you like dear ? 'meh, meh, you're as bad as me really, meh, meh' You child. I despair of you. Just stay where you are, cast your judgments on the rest of us and all of music and we'll carry on blissfully untouched. Stay happy.

Oh and yes, I think kids jobs is to rebel and create, not listen to their grandads music. Our cultural future is fucked if we're going to get only retreads of the Doors and Iron Maiden. Onwards is bestwards.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2013, 16:59
Oct 04, 2013, 16:57
IanB wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
IanB wrote:

Yes both is possible. Of course. All the time and that cuts both ways. People listening to mainstream music aren't faking it either. I am just saying music (even the cool bits) is not immune from consumerist impulses. I've been there and bought the box set(s) that now gather dust. As have most of us here have I would imagine.

I've probably done that a fair few times in the past, but I could never go so far as to convince myself I love something I don't. That dizzying euphoria when you want to keep on playing a thing at every opportunity because you love the world you're in while the record is playing- I could never make that up. I've had those affairs with the mainstream and the underground, the new and the old. I don't really think of music as a product of a time and place so much as a transportation to a variety of worlds via the medium of sound, but I'll accept that's probably not an especially common attitude, though not quite rare either. I'm not really qualified to say what drives other people towards music, but I do know that a pose alone can't inspire a person to spend day-in, day-out with a piece of music. Well, unless they're really, really desperate to get noticed.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Oct 04, 2013, 18:09
Sin Agog wrote:
... That dizzying euphoria when you want to keep on playing a thing at every opportunity because you love the world you're in while the record is playing- I could never make that up. I've had those affairs with the mainstream and the underground, the new and the old. I don't really think of music as a product of a time and place so much as a transportation to a variety of worlds via the medium of sound, but I'll accept that's probably not an especially common attitude, though not quite rare either. I'm not really qualified to say what drives other people towards music, but I do know that a pose alone can't inspire a person to spend day-in, day-out with a piece of music. Well, unless they're really, really desperate to get noticed.

Great post...
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2013, 13:39
Oct 06, 2013, 11:53
stray wrote:
IanB wrote:

No, not elitist at all.

Holy shit how far back did you go to get that, and why the fuck did you bother ? Oh my word. What are you like dear ? 'meh, meh, you're as bad as me really, meh, meh' You child. I despair of you. Just stay where you are, cast your judgments on the rest of us and all of music and we'll carry on blissfully untouched. Stay happy.

Oh and yes, I think kids jobs is to rebel and create, not listen to their grandads music. Our cultural future is fucked if we're going to get only retreads of the Doors and Iron Maiden. Onwards is bestwards.

But their grandads persist in thinking they can make relevant new music. Using your logic shouldn't they give up?

I also dislike the notion that there is any moral dimension to the music I choose to listen to and when it was made. Fuck off, none of your business.

I personally don't like any of the music made by people that post on here. Not any judgement on them, don't know them, nor a damning fact about myself - its subjective, as is the notion that onwards is bestwards.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 06, 2013, 12:31
This is all getting very personal and polarised, people. I dislike personal invective aimed at other members of the Unsung forum. Unsung contributors are, almost by definition, passionate about the music they support through personal taste...and that's cool. We all have our opinions and, by and large, they're all valid. Live and let live.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index