Julian Cope presents Head Heritage

Head To Head
Log In
Register
Unsung Forum »
Regular Non obscure music
Log In to post a reply

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Maldoror
Maldoror
690 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 05:12
billding68 wrote:
I often read the soundtracks weekly post and think Jeez does anybody listen to anything NOT totally obscure and unheard of? I mean
I listen to some off the wall stuff from time to time (residents,beefheart etc..) But Come on now it kinda seems like sometime people are just trying to out do one another by firing off some of the most random one off stuff they can dig up. Is anyone on this forum gonna fess up to owning a top 40 (recent) album? I dare ya people. I got dibs on the Sabbath (it hit number 1 here in the states). Lets see what ya willing to claim.


'Obscure music' kicks ass, plain and simple.
riverman
riverman
844 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 07:58
billding68 wrote:
I often read the soundtracks weekly post and think Jeez does anybody listen to anything NOT totally obscure and unheard of? I mean
I listen to some off the wall stuff from time to time (residents,beefheart etc..) But Come on now it kinda seems like sometime people are just trying to out do one another by firing off some of the most random one off stuff they can dig up. Is anyone on this forum gonna fess up to owning a top 40 (recent) album? I dare ya people. I got dibs on the Sabbath (it hit number 1 here in the states). Lets see what ya willing to claim.


There is such a huge quantity of music out there I could never have the time or money to investigate more than I currently buy. My listening isn't random it's carefully informed by a few sources I trust for my taste (some HH contributors, Cope and a few blogs). So that's not to say I wouldn't like something that is popular but I just don't feel the need to bother. Actually we tend to be bombarded with pop/indie everywhere we go these days and it's a blessed relief to get away from it.
Kid Calamity
8985 posts

Edited Oct 01, 2013, 09:26
Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 09:21
billding68 wrote:
I often read the soundtracks weekly post and think Jeez does anybody listen to anything NOT totally obscure and unheard of? I mean
I listen to some off the wall stuff from time to time (residents,beefheart etc..) But Come on now it kinda seems like sometime people are just trying to out do one another by firing off some of the most random one off stuff they can dig up. Is anyone on this forum gonna fess up to owning a top 40 (recent) album? I dare ya people. I got dibs on the Sabbath (it hit number 1 here in the states). Lets see what ya willing to claim.


I listen to lots of Wellsung music. Current faves are the first Santogold album and the new one by Goldfrapp.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 21:05
Just got back to my mountian perch from the low lands so didn't have a chance to reply earlier. I meant no disrespect to anyone here and don't believe I was rude in my post as someone here said I do thank those who posted and wish all a good day
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8754 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 21:43
billding68 wrote:
Just got back to my mountian perch from the low lands so didn't have a chance to reply earlier. I meant no disrespect to anyone here and don't believe I was rude in my post as someone here said I do thank those who posted and wish all a good day


Sorry, it was rude of me to say you were rude - it was an innocent enough question and I should have taken it in that spirit. It was just a ghost from the past that made me so jumpy, please accept my apologies!
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 22:11
grufty jim wrote:
I only post in the 'Soundtracks' thread once in a blue moon... my tastes are pretty eclectic, which I'd suggest is the case with most of the folks here - I think there's a tendency to like a wide spectrum of stuff (from the obscure right through the mainstream). That's the impression I get anyway.

And if I'm totally honest, most of my absolute favourite artists would probably tend more towards the mainstream end of things... in my life I've spent more time listening to David Byrne and Talking Heads than anyone else. And they sold millions of records.

Of course, I wouldn't visit this place at all if I didn't also like a lot of less mainstream acts (the Pink Dots, Swans, Digital Hardcore artists... I suspect I spend more time than is strictly sensible listening to late-60's / early-70's era Stockhausen). And given that this is an Unsung forum after all, it's hardly a surprise that the more obscure stuff gets discussed most often.

Which doesn't mean I don't also adore Bowie, Prince, The Beatles, Van Morrison, Bob Marley and plenty of others who have shifted a shed-load of albums. In truth though, I can't say I've been captivated by much *recent* mainstream stuff. I've put it down to just getting older, but the mainstream has got pretty dire to my ears - and that wasn't the case up to about a decade ago when you seemed to be able to rely on a handful of genuinely good but also pretty popular albums every year. If that's still happening then it's passing me by.

It goes without saying that there are exceptions - I've played the recent Daft Punk record quite a lot. And I really liked Bowie's new one.

Oh, and I watched the Gangnam Style video a whole bunch of times.


Where would I start with Stockhausen?
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2279 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 22:21
I started with Gesang der Jünglinge/Kontakte, which has some truly eerie child choir manipulations and Morton Subotnik-style spacey-electronics, but Hymnen is probably one of his most mindblowing releases:

“Be more open, universal, more cosmically oriented. Sooner or later, when one has achieved this consciousness, one will travel there as a cosmic tourist and by that show that everything exists at once.”
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 01, 2013, 23:22
Squid Tempest wrote:
billding68 wrote:
Just got back to my mountian perch from the low lands so didn't have a chance to reply earlier. I meant no disrespect to anyone here and don't believe I was rude in my post as someone here said I do thank those who posted and wish all a good day


Sorry, it was rude of me to say you were rude - it was an innocent enough question and I should have taken it in that spirit. It was just a ghost from the past that made me so jumpy, please accept my apologies!


No worries! Its all good now wish me luck just bought the little mermaid blue ray for my tots don't know how they will react to Ursula they're both such chickens!!
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 02, 2013, 00:37
Sin Agog wrote:
I started with Gesang der Jünglinge/Kontakte, which has some truly eerie child choir manipulations and Morton Subotnik-style spacey-electronics, but Hymnen is probably one of his most mindblowing releases:

“Be more open, universal, more cosmically oriented. Sooner or later, when one has achieved this consciousness, one will travel there as a cosmic tourist and by that show that everything exists at once.”


As you know, we like mindblowing tunes in the den. Cheers for the recommendations; I shall investigate.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Regular Non obscure music
Oct 02, 2013, 02:39
Sin Agog wrote:
I started with Gesang der Jünglinge/Kontakte, which has some truly eerie child choir manipulations and Morton Subotnik-style spacey-electronics, but Hymnen is probably one of his most mindblowing releases:

“Be more open, universal, more cosmically oriented. Sooner or later, when one has achieved this consciousness, one will travel there as a cosmic tourist and by that show that everything exists at once.”


Here we are, in the midst of a forum thread about regular non-obscure music" and we're talking Stockhausen. LOL.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index