Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:41
Popel Vooje wrote:
I actually like at least four of those - "Baker Street", "Stairway to Heaven", "Don't you Want Me", even "More than a Feeling" - but I'm a child of the 70s/early 80s to me they represent more innocent times. I mean, you don't give a damn about whether music's hip, innovative or critically acclaimed when you're seven, do you?

One track that comes to mind for me is "Self-Esteem" by Offspring - not just because it's a blatant re-write of "Smells Like teen Spirit" but also because of the spineless emo lyrics and the fact that it was all over the radio for months after it was released.

I don't know about 'innocent times' - what I remember about music in my formative years at school was the innane bilge that TOTP spewed out week in week out and the hip kids trying to shovel Led Zep down your throat. I hated Led Zep with a passion and for all the wrong reasons. Likewise with Deep Purple. My escape was Prog - notably a battered copy of "Tarkus" by ELP that I bought secondhand from a friend. My first album. My total estrangement from anything remotely cool was when VDGG and Hawkwind surfaced on my radar. It's all been downhill from there. lol
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 13:45
billding68 wrote:
Aqua-pure nonsense Barbie girl sheesh

Forgotten that one! But would prefer to (be forced to) listen to that than Hotel California or Achy Breaky Heart :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 13:48
To be honest, I would rather listen Dare-era Human League than most of the Heaven 17 records. Can't beat Travelogue though.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 13:51
billding68 wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Two songs that used to have this effect, but which the years have mellowed me towards acceptance-if-heard:

Radiohead - Creep
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

While i feel a little bad jumping on this band wagon and while i disagree with many of the posts on this thread i gotta say...

Nirvana- really dislike them Alot!

Styx- if you like shitty 70s/80s arena rock you'll love these guys

Aqua-pure nonsense Barbie girl sheesh

Rhiana/gaga/drake/jay z/etc.......all garbage to my ears

In reality, the idea of the thread was to bring out those tracks that wind people up...and to have those prejudices challenged by others who know the catalogue of featured artists rather better. For example, there has been a warm reception for recent albums by Deep Purple and Black Sabbath within this forum and I have taken note of that.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 13:54
thesweetcheat wrote:
To be honest, I would rather listen Dare-era Human League than most of the Heaven 17 records. Can't beat Travelogue though.

"The Circus Of Death is approaching,
It's pathway is painted in red"

Great record.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 13:55
Yep, and the a-side is probably their best single. Although "Empire State Human" is a pretty close second.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 14:04
stray wrote:
Oh god, my list is long, and as I get older and more intolerant it grows and grows. Not individual tracks cos it would be too long.

Mum - Anything by them once they added vocals (so thats the whole back catalog pretty much). All part of the annnoying trend of the infantilisation of women vocalists. See also Joanna Newsome, and any of the fucking thousands of bands around that feature (or solo artists that are) women vocalists who sing like 12 year olds, and pose in photos like little girls lost with toes pointing inwards etc.

Yes - Everything by them in every lineup really. I don't actually have a general hatred of prog (well, not exactly). It's just it's not as fucking clever, impressive, nor innovative, nor deep as it pretends to be. A puddle with a thin film of oil on it looks really impressive and full of colours. It's still a bloody puddle though with all the requisite depth of one.

Dishonest Music - Not a band, nor a genre, just contrived niche market aimed bollocks. Something which 'alternative' or 'independent' music suffers greatly from. You know you're not actually listening to the artist, you're listening to what they think they can sell you.

talking of..

90% of Electronic dance music these days also - As Kenny Larkin said recently upon browsing Beatport looking for tunes to buy.. 'What have these motherfuckers done to the electronic music we love'.

Now get off my lawn.

I take your 90% and raise to 95% - it is a sad indictment of humanity how vacuous the vast majority of 'dance music' has become; entire genres going down the plughole. There are one or two bright spots out there - for me, the retro hard acid label Obs.cur is worthy of acclaim.

http://www.discogs.com/label/Obs.Cur
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 14:07
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
keith a
9572 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 14:08
thesweetcheat wrote:
keith a wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
And James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"

Arggghhhh!!!!!!

Obviously you're a fan then keith.

Hardly! I was in the local offie one day when it started playing on the radio. I couldn't help myself. I started slagging it off to the staff!
keith a
9572 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 14:13
Temptation - Heaven 17. It's just such a rubbish song, but...I've hated it so long now that I've become quite fond of it in recent years!
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index