Julian Cope presents Head Heritage

Head To Head
Log In
Register
Unsung Forum »
Horrors
Log In to post a reply

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:15
Lawrence wrote:
Human League and Ultravox on the list, hmmph!

Anyways I can tell you "Oops I Did It Again" by Britney Spears is definitely on the list.

Also Shannon "Let the Music Play", which almost made Industrial Noise obsolete except it's not the kind of 'noise' I would ever like. Big fat drum sound, big fat bass synth and that unlistenable DX7 "broken glass" sound -- not an enjoyable collection of sounds if you ask me. Oh I forgot the histrionic 'singing'! Same goes for Jody Whatley's "Real Love"...

Oh yeah, that annoying remix of the Macarena song that was popular around the year 2000...

Blues Traveler -- cheesy alterna-rock with some of the WORST harmonica I've ever heard.

They Might Be Giants -- like the above sans harmonica but with the most annoying nasal vocals I've ever heard. They made College Radio an utter hell in the late 80s...

The Goo Goo Dolls -- Charlie, you'd laugh in my face if I told you this group from Buffalo used to be well regarded hardcore-punk band. What the fuck happened? From what friends tell me it wasn't a total sell-out -- they never let the record bosses rip them off, but ugh! Why play crap like this for any other reason than money? Now they're as 'punk' as fucking Boston!


Human League are on the list because a great band was utterly destroyed by the introduction of the girlies. Ultravox are there for similar reasons; Ultravox lost their soul when John Foxx left.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6004 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:15
I should say that I love all the Beatles records except Let It Be (similarly with Simon & Garfunkel except Bridge OTW).

Actually, I think the bit of "Hey Jude" I hate most is the "Juday-juday-juday-juday!" bit.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1132 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 16:27
Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:16
Loved the Young Soul Rebels stuff of Dexys but I loathe with a passion (bordering on psychotic) Come On Eileen... Too rye fucken aye my arse!

Edit: I've pretty much avoided every thing our Kevin has done since and even when I've been pointed towards something interesting, the taint of this awful-on-so-many-levels song completely overshadows any appreciation or enjoyment I might attempt.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6004 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:18
Charlie2300 wrote:
Human League are on the list because a great band was utterly destroyed by the introduction of the girlies. Ultravox are there for similar reasons; Ultravox lost their soul when John Foxx left.


While not entirely disagreeing :) "Sound of the Crowd" is terrific. And "Seconds" off Dare is one of their best songs ever, for me.

With you entirely on U-Vox, but I do like "Vienna" and "The Thin Wall" from Midge's version.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6004 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:18
Gnomon wrote:
Loved the Young Soul Rebels stuff of Dexys but I loathe with a passion (bordering on psychotic) Come On Eileen... Too rye fucken aye my arse!


Yay! Spot on.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6004 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:19
Two songs that used to have this effect, but which the years have mellowed me towards acceptance-if-heard:

Radiohead - Creep
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6004 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:20
keith a wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
And James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"


Arggghhhh!!!!!!


Obviously you're a fan then keith.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:24
thesweetcheat wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:
Human League are on the list because a great band was utterly destroyed by the introduction of the girlies. Ultravox are there for similar reasons; Ultravox lost their soul when John Foxx left.


While not entirely disagreeing :) "Sound of the Crowd" is terrific. And "Seconds" off Dare is one of their best songs ever, for me.

With you entirely on U-Vox, but I do like "Vienna" and "The Thin Wall" from Midge's version.


As silly as this might sound, I was and remain a keen advocate of the electronic Sheffield bands - it smacked of betrayal when The Human League got off the boat and entered the charts bigtime.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:27
thesweetcheat wrote:
And James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"


Nice one. That track is pure evil straight from Hell.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 13:32
thesweetcheat wrote:
Two songs that used to have this effect, but which the years have mellowed me towards acceptance-if-heard:

Radiohead - Creep
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit


While i feel a little bad jumping on this band wagon and while i disagree with many of the posts on this thread i gotta say...

Nirvana- really dislike them Alot!

Styx- if you like shitty 70s/80s arena rock you'll love these guys

Aqua-pure nonsense Barbie girl sheesh

Rhiana/gaga/drake/jay z/etc.......all garbage to my ears
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index