Horrors

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 03:27
We all have them - tracks that have assailed our ears and caused offence for one reason or another; tunes that, rightly or wrongly, are all sorts of wrong.

It is all too easy to damn the entire catalogue of an artist on the basis of one track alone and that is what I appear to have done in several cases. So maybe some re-education is coming my way here.

Without further ado, here's a list of real frightfests for me -

The Eagles - Hotel California
Peter Frampton - Show Me The Way
Chicago - Baker Street
Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Boston - More Than A Feeling
Guns and Roses - Living On a Prayer
Free - Alright Now
Human League - Don't You Want Me Baby?
Ultravox - Vienna

P.S. Dreamer by Supertramp used to be on that fairly exclusive list. No longer.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Horrors
Sep 15, 2013, 05:10
Baker street was by Gerry Raferty.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 05:53
Living On A Prayer was by Bon Jovi.

Still awful though.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 07:31
Sep 15, 2013, 07:30
Human League and Ultravox on the list, hmmph!

Anyways I can tell you "Oops I Did It Again" by Britney Spears is definitely on the list.

Also Shannon "Let the Music Play", which almost made Industrial Noise obsolete except it's not the kind of 'noise' I would ever like. Big fat drum sound, big fat bass synth and that unlistenable DX7 "broken glass" sound -- not an enjoyable collection of sounds if you ask me. Oh I forgot the histrionic 'singing'! Same goes for Jody Whatley's "Real Love"...

Oh yeah, that annoying remix of the Macarena song that was popular around the year 2000...

Blues Traveler -- cheesy alterna-rock with some of the WORST harmonica I've ever heard.

They Might Be Giants -- like the above sans harmonica but with the most annoying nasal vocals I've ever heard. They made College Radio an utter hell in the late 80s...

The Goo Goo Dolls -- Charlie, you'd laugh in my face if I told you this group from Buffalo used to be well regarded hardcore-punk band. What the fuck happened? From what friends tell me it wasn't a total sell-out -- they never let the record bosses rip them off, but ugh! Why play crap like this for any other reason than money? Now they're as 'punk' as fucking Boston!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 07:35
Everything by Bon Jovi is essentially terrible! The ickyest stuff that ever hit the radio.
keith a
9564 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 09:49
Lawrence wrote:

Also Shannon "Let the Music Play", which almost made Industrial Noise obsolete except it's not the kind of 'noise' I would ever like. Big fat drum sound, big fat bass synth and that unlistenable DX7 "broken glass" sound -- not an enjoyable collection of sounds if you ask me. Oh I forgot the histrionic 'singing'!

Oh man, that single (and the two that followed it) is pop genius!
keith a
9564 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 09:52
Charlie2300 wrote:

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water

There's a few on that list that I'm rather fond of, or have been before the over-exposure, but I could never understand all the fuss about this one. I liked Deep Purple in my teens - loved tracks like Black Night, Strange Kind Of Woman and Fireball, etc, but this always just seemed so uninspiring. I like a good riff but this certainly doesn't come into that category!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 10:21
Oh god, my list is long, and as I get older and more intolerant it grows and grows. Not individual tracks cos it would be too long.

Mum - Anything by them once they added vocals (so thats the whole back catalog pretty much). All part of the annnoying trend of the infantilisation of women vocalists. See also Joanna Newsome, and any of the fucking thousands of bands around that feature (or solo artists that are) women vocalists who sing like 12 year olds, and pose in photos like little girls lost with toes pointing inwards etc.

Yes - Everything by them in every lineup really. I don't actually have a general hatred of prog (well, not exactly). It's just it's not as fucking clever, impressive, nor innovative, nor deep as it pretends to be. A puddle with a thin film of oil on it looks really impressive and full of colours. It's still a bloody puddle though with all the requisite depth of one.

Dishonest Music - Not a band, nor a genre, just contrived niche market aimed bollocks. Something which 'alternative' or 'independent' music suffers greatly from. You know you're not actually listening to the artist, you're listening to what they think they can sell you.

talking of..

90% of Electronic dance music these days also - As Kenny Larkin said recently upon browsing Beatport looking for tunes to buy.. 'What have these motherfuckers done to the electronic music we love'.

Now get off my lawn.
keith a
9564 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 10:26
stray wrote:
Oh god, my list is long, and as I get older and more intolerant it grows and grows. Not individual tracks cos it would be too long.

Mum - Anything by them once they added vocals (so thats the whole back catalog pretty much). All part of the annnoying trend of the infantilisation of women vocalists. See also Joanna Newsome, and any of the fucking thousands of bands around that feature (or solo artists that are) women vocalists who sing like 12 year olds, and pose in photos like little girls lost with toes pointing inwards etc.

Yes - Everything by them in every lineup really. I don't actually have a general hatred of prog (well, not exactly). It's just it's not as fucking clever, impressive, nor innovative, nor deep as it pretends to be. A puddle with a thin film of oil on it looks really impressive and full of colours. It's still a bloody puddle though with all the requisite depth of one.

Dishonest Music - Not a band, nor a genre, just contrived niche market aimed bollocks. Something which 'alternative' or 'independent' music suffers greatly from. You know you're not actually listening to the artist, you're listening to what they think they can sell you.

talking of..

90% of Electronic dance music these days also - As Kenny Larkin said recently upon browsing Beatport looking for tunes to buy.. 'What have these motherfuckers done to the electronic music we love'.

Now get off my lawn.

And on the new series of Grumpy Old Men we have Stray... ;)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 10:32
Sep 15, 2013, 10:27
These are all like nails down a chalk board to my ears unless you are compiling "Now That's What I Call Mawkish Vol 1" .....

You Can't Put Your Arms Round A Memory
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Stay Free
Angie
Yesterday
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Angels
Every Time You Go Away

and there are plenty more where they came from.

Frankie by Sister Sledge is probably the record to have on permanent repeat when you lock me up
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index