Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2013, 20:49
Re: Revolutionary Suicide and recommendations please
Jun 12, 2013, 20:46
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
"In their own way they are both quite unforgiving albums." - see, whilst this may or may not be an influence to investigate, just hearing this description of ANY album reminds me whay I love Julian so much as an artist. The Drude couldna put it better himself!

I concur totally. Unforgiving is one of the very best reasons to buy a record. "Here's my statement, take that listeners!" With you all the way there. The Black Sheep thing (and the imagery that goes with it) just strikes me as a bit half assed rather than teetering on the edge of something dangerous - which I think is probably the desired effect. Then again I loved the Dark Orgasm tour and couldn't understand the metal-phobia. Everyone has their blind spots and lo-fi is mine. Also when it comes down to it, for me, it's not his best musical suit and he's no Roy Harper when it comes to long form politicised folk poetry.

Anyway, good and happy hunting. Not sure I would want to tackle all the albums you are going to have to wade through all in one go!
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide
Jun 15, 2013, 07:27
Daniel wrote:
Definitely it's a grower. I think The Armenian Genocide alone worth the price of the admission. Disc 1 is a beauty rural folk with great lyrics. Disc 2 is different and has typical elements of Cope's music in more than one tune. Is it me or the keys at the beginning of Paradise Mislaid sounds a bit like Genesis? Am I mad or in a coma? Either way, great song. There's even certain distant spirit to Plastic Ono Band's Instant Karma period in the mood of a couple of songs. Beyond the dispute of opinions seems to me that it's a great record. What is certain is that Cope doesn't seem to be willing to make the album that most of his fans expected and decides to do what he wants to do. In my opinion that is more than commendable and that's why I follow him for so many years now. I'm fed up of musicians who repeat their formula indefinitely and taken sabbatical years between albums, thanks but not my cup of tea. Julian is a fine artist true to himself.

(applause)

Agreed, Daniel!

Agreed, HI DEN!

Agreed, everybody else who digs it. Why?

Because "Revolutionary Suicide" is a GREAT FUCKING ALBUM.

Before I heard it, it was described to me as being similar to "You Got A Problem With Me." But for some reason I hear elements of "Almost Alive," "Butterfly E" and "Straw Dogs" intermittently throughout. Probably down to the stripped down feel, and Anthrony O (spelling?) and Holy consistently back it all wonderfully.

The songs are all FUCKING SOLID, Jack: "Armenian Genocide" is truly one moving piece of cruel historic re-animated, "Paradise Mislaid" is fucking awesome (Best line: "What's all my vinyl doing upstairs?") and a feeling I relate to on a big level, "Destroy Religion" is "Sandoz In The Rain" with all the vibey early morning mist and most of all: "They Were All On Hard Drugs" shows that Lester Bangs was really onto something when he wrote in "Kraftwerkfeature":

"As is well known, it was the Germans who invented methamphetamine, which of all accessible tools has brought human beings within the closest twitch of machinehood, and without methamphetamine we would never have had such high plasma marks of the counterculture as Lenny Bruce, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, Neal Cassady, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg's "Howl," Blue Cheer, Cream, and Creem."

"In His Cups" is completely groovy. Fuck: he even references "Basketball Jones"(!) in it.

Julian's on top form on this album...I could tell from the first play.

Great cover, too. Rockwell Bold? Er...loki out!

(Verbal blogspot over)
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Jun 15, 2013, 23:24
hoorah for you both daniel and seth! i allways know i can count on you both for your taste and appreciation! I have to say when i was reading all these " my first impression is it sucks" " i hate this trip he's on" "whens he gonna write a catchy tune again" " he hasnt even tried" i thought OMG-S am i hearing something different to you. I think its a absolute triumph! I might be wrong but my guess is he's playing pretty much every instrument. And it's a heavy trip - you dont take on that type of stuff unless you can do it justice and serve it with the respect humility and tenderness it deserves, and he's nailed it. and its groovy too and fun. i think its a real ride this album. And it shows his age and his maturity and wisdom and its really worn on his sleeve. Some of the melodies are great they are pop and i new phase in his crafting of songs - i feels it i do ;)! i love it and feel happy that many people have listened again and said that they are begining to get it on subsequent listens, because the duff reception by some of you was really spreading through camp and turning off a lot of people. I think the busking style songs have a devided loyalty but aside from those its got a lot for most of us, It wont be for everyone of course but I'd never trust anyones opinion on anything they only tried once - well some things i guess like braking your leg maybe ;) It's got so much in it, totally listenable again and again and hearing something new each time - REVVY SUICIDE ROCKS!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jun 15, 2013, 23:57
I'm just trying to get through the rest of the album now actually, after having Hymn to the Odin on repeat all the way home. Fuck me that's a beautiful song! Had me in tears driving back from a show tonight, not a wise move doing 85 down the M4!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jun 16, 2013, 00:53
Ok heard it all now, there's some great stuff on there actually, so much better than the previous couple of albums, this one seems to have a lot more direction compared to the last couple which I felt were rehashing the same old a bit.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jun 16, 2013, 01:27
Bollocks it's on repeat now! This old 2 cd bit is a bit annoying though as I keep having to get up
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Jun 16, 2013, 10:08
Awlright u mothers... I'm ordering! :)
Daniel
277 posts

Jun 16, 2013, 18:41
Mrs Ahab wrote:
hoorah for you both daniel and seth! i allways know i can count on you both for your taste and appreciation! I have to say when i was reading all these " my first impression is it sucks" " i hate this trip he's on" "whens he gonna write a catchy tune again" " he hasnt even tried" i thought OMG-S am i hearing something different to you. I think its a absolute triumph! I might be wrong but my guess is he's playing pretty much every instrument. And it's a heavy trip - you dont take on that type of stuff unless you can do it justice and serve it with the respect humility and tenderness it deserves, and he's nailed it. and its groovy too and fun. i think its a real ride this album. And it shows his age and his maturity and wisdom and its really worn on his sleeve. Some of the melodies are great they are pop and i new phase in his crafting of songs - i feels it i do ;)! i love it and feel happy that many people have listened again and said that they are begining to get it on subsequent listens, because the duff reception by some of you was really spreading through camp and turning off a lot of people. I think the busking style songs have a devided loyalty but aside from those its got a lot for most of us, It wont be for everyone of course but I'd never trust anyones opinion on anything they only tried once - well some things i guess like braking your leg maybe ;) It's got so much in it, totally listenable again and again and hearing something new each time - REVVY SUICIDE ROCKS!

I couldn't agree more, well said lady!
Daniel
277 posts

Jun 16, 2013, 18:42
The Seth Man wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Definitely it's a grower. I think The Armenian Genocide alone worth the price of the admission. Disc 1 is a beauty rural folk with great lyrics. Disc 2 is different and has typical elements of Cope's music in more than one tune. Is it me or the keys at the beginning of Paradise Mislaid sounds a bit like Genesis? Am I mad or in a coma? Either way, great song. There's even certain distant spirit to Plastic Ono Band's Instant Karma period in the mood of a couple of songs. Beyond the dispute of opinions seems to me that it's a great record. What is certain is that Cope doesn't seem to be willing to make the album that most of his fans expected and decides to do what he wants to do. In my opinion that is more than commendable and that's why I follow him for so many years now. I'm fed up of musicians who repeat their formula indefinitely and taken sabbatical years between albums, thanks but not my cup of tea. Julian is a fine artist true to himself.

(applause)

Agreed, Daniel!

Agreed, HI DEN!

Agreed, everybody else who digs it. Why?

Because "Revolutionary Suicide" is a GREAT FUCKING ALBUM.

Before I heard it, it was described to me as being similar to "You Got A Problem With Me." But for some reason I hear elements of "Almost Alive," "Butterfly E" and "Straw Dogs" intermittently throughout. Probably down to the stripped down feel, and Anthrony O (spelling?) and Holy consistently back it all wonderfully.

The songs are all FUCKING SOLID, Jack: "Armenian Genocide" is truly one moving piece of cruel historic re-animated, "Paradise Mislaid" is fucking awesome (Best line: "What's all my vinyl doing upstairs?") and a feeling I relate to on a big level, "Destroy Religion" is "Sandoz In The Rain" with all the vibey early morning mist and most of all: "They Were All On Hard Drugs" shows that Lester Bangs was really onto something when he wrote in "Kraftwerkfeature":

"As is well known, it was the Germans who invented methamphetamine, which of all accessible tools has brought human beings within the closest twitch of machinehood, and without methamphetamine we would never have had such high plasma marks of the counterculture as Lenny Bruce, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, Neal Cassady, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg's "Howl," Blue Cheer, Cream, and Creem."

"In His Cups" is completely groovy. Fuck: he even references "Basketball Jones"(!) in it.

Julian's on top form on this album...I could tell from the first play.

Great cover, too. Rockwell Bold? Er...loki out!

(Verbal blogspot over)

BRAVO!!!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jun 17, 2013, 16:13
Fucking great!!

Worth it for The Aremenian Genocide alone.

It's a partner to Psychedelic Revolution and Black Sheep to my ears. Kind of like the way Peggy Suicide, Jehovahkill and Autogeddon were linked.

Cor! He's good that Julian Cope innee?
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index