Albums that deserve a second chance

118 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 25, 2013, 06:58
I love the Bowie Deram Anthology which is basically an expansion on the Images material. Think it's probably neglected with the exceptionof the Laughing Gnome which people trot out as a live request, but I'm especially fond of Karma Man, Silly Boy Blue, We Are Hungry Men and a couple of others. This was back when he was influenced by Anthony Newley and often had string accompaniment so touching on the MOR but singing some touching vignettes.

& thinking about things from roughly the same era and possibly similar style I love Blaze! the psychedelic era lp by Herman's Hermits. Stone Roses always reminded me of that lp melodically, wonder if it has anything to do with a shared geographical location?

Also Donovan's psychedelic lps are great, just reminded cos Blaze! has a cover of his museum on. Not sure how unsung he is though.

& tangentially, reminded of the solo Bob Mould tour from '89 which was great, recordings of that which has him with a rhythm section of Anton Fier & Tony Maimone are worth searching out. Not sure how sung they are , it relates to the Workbook lp but that was a lot more acoustic. Live was electric.

I think Adventure the 2nd Television lp is rather neglected particularly relatively to Marquee Moon. It's th estudio lp I tend to return to but I think I [probably listen to them more live tahn anything.
Just trying to think if White Light/White Heat has a similar relationship to the 1st VU lp? Seems way more based in groove than that does and I think I might like it even more or about the same.

Oh yeah, when people reference the Gun Club it's normaly Fire of Love their most r'n'r/psychobilly orientated work though I think that's probably a little 1 dimensional view of the goods on offer. I always prefered Miami which is more psychedelic.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index