118 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1700 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 24, 2013, 21:54
Moon Cat wrote:
Well, I was more responding to Spencer's cheeky comment, but one does get the impression that a lot of hair was cut and records hidden in Swiss Bank Vaults while the harsh eye of the Punk Polit Bureau was on the case. It's always been a something of a bug-bear/source of amusement to me, depending on what mood I'm in, that something born of a desire for freedom of expression didn't take very long to add its own set of rules and restrictions. Robyn Hitchcock wrote a really good thing on it somewhere in the midsts of time.

Erm, was it something like this:

"We were a band, like many groups, that developed and went into the public eye around punk, and I suppose some people kind of slid through the new wave and punk customs and immigration with greater ease than others. Looking back, you can see that the Soft Boys belonged with Squeeze and XTC and Elvis Costello as being sort of second-generation Beatles kids really, that’s what we all were. But the others managed to establish new wave credentials; they got through, and we got turned back at the border. We had to sneak round the outside.”

“Punk became very Stalinist very quickly. There were only so many things that you could like. Only three bands existed before 1976, the Velvet Underground, the Stooges and the MC5. I loved the Velvet Underground, but almost all the people that we loved, particularly the Beatles, were blacklisted. You were not gonna get through with three-part harmonies and guitar solos, no son."

...As told to me and published on the Stool Pigeon website, November 2011?

I'll get my trumpet...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index