Unsung Forum »
Albums that deserve a second chance

Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wiggy
1696 posts

Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 23, 2013, 11:25
Not so much "Unsung" as derided for not being as good as other stuff by the same artist?
I only bring this up coz I've been Listening to MC5's "Back in The USA" while doing the housework this morning - it's nowhere near as dissapointing as I remember it being the 10 or 15 years ago when I first bought it. In fact, if half those tracks appeared on a Flamin' Groovies or somesuch album it would be hailed as pretty good.
Any thoughts?
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 23, 2013, 11:46
Taken By Force by Scorpions. I put this on the other day and it was totally fucking great from start to finish.

It also features my favourite ever brutally cynical lyric, in the chorus of the magnificent lead track, Steamrock Fever, at the end of the chorus, when Klaus sings, for absolutely no reason whatsoever: "...in LA!"

Makes the Leps' Hello America sound positively fucking delicate.

I only wish Uli-Jon Roth had played that cool little lead trill he plays over the chorus in the studio version, in the subsequent live Tokyo Tapes.

Sorry, it's all gone a bit 'early Scorps' in this house this week.
Kid Calamity
9040 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2013, 16:30
Jan 23, 2013, 11:57
The Wonder Stuff: 'Construction For The Modern Idiot'

This was a pinnacle, but they split straight after - and then grunge and baggy happened and brit-pop soon followed. Lots of people either forgot this album or had already moved away. I had. I went baggy and dub and... even jazz.

'Construction For The Modern Idiot' to me, however, is a nice reminder that despite the in-fighting and the subsequent split, during the following tour, they were cooking on butane for those few vital last months. Sadly, I don't think they'll ever get that kinda momentum back now, no matter how hard they tour. It was probably culled from a place they don't wish to revisit, anyway.

On The Ropes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu4WzppxTec

I hope this is taken in the affectionate tone intended, should any of my mates within the Groove Machine, be reading.
Kid Calamity
9040 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 11:58
A great band. I'm not very familiar with their catalogue, but did see them a couple of times around 1980-82.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2013, 12:18
Jan 23, 2013, 12:10
Adolescent Sex - Japan
Other than Generation X and maybe Heavy Metal Kids, Japan were easily the most derided majorish band of my youth until they were rehabilitiated by Paul Morley and The Face circa Gentlemen Take Polaroids. First album? No fretless bass or cod oriental touches. It's Diamond-Dogs-goes-disco with long BOC style guitar solos, Lou/ Velvets urban sleeze and decadent silliness. What's not to like? At sixteen it was unimprovable and then I didn't listen to it for maybe 20 years. Coming back to it was thrilling. If only Low had sounded this great.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 12:12
For me, if you read my last review on Unsung which describes the whole experience, it was Patti Smith's Radio Ethiopia.
keith a
9564 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:17
My biggest re-appraisal of recent times is probably the belated 3rd Television album. I always *liked* it but on playing it recently I came to the conclusion that it was miles better than I thought.

Here's Call Mr Lee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4QZSDu1wx8
Repossessed
79 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:25
Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden". Didn't do much for me at the time of release (I was in my teens back then), it's gone on to be one of my absolute all-time favourites. "Laughing Stock" doesn't quite do the same for me (maybe one day).
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:40
Right-o. I don't think there was a Television album I didn't like, although I still wish Tom Verlaine would do solo material that was at least more than halfway decent since Words From the Front, although not counting Warm and Cool of course...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 23, 2013, 15:43
For me, Spirit of Eden was one of the albums I put off buying simply because I never really liked their previous New Wave/Romantics stuff. Eventually I bought it only because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and I definitely don't regret it...
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index