129 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: HMV - an alternative view
Jan 15, 2013, 21:07
Popel Vooje wrote:
I see our own Seb Hunter has just posted on Facebook about what a sad day this is for music retailing, and one of the replies he's received is:

"You wouldn't say that if you'd ever had the misfortune of working for those pricks. They didn't even give you a morning break, the tight c***s. Fuck 'em."

My cousin worked at HMV for a few years but quit last year as she hated it so much - and she had got a promotion a year or two before that. The problem was the money wasn't much more but the stress, responsibility and work load was disproportionately higher as far as I can tell. But she had the luxury of living rent free in London with her mum and found a job.

I haven't had time to scroll through the thread but obviously the sadness here is the thought of another 4000+ unemployed (and presumably many of whom like music and want to work in music - e.g. Jimmy Teeth of the Sea who works at Oxford St), and then the fact it's an iconic music retailer (all be it one that I suspect many of us used less and less).

A colleague of mine who lives out near Staines lamented the fact he'd no longer be able to pop to Staines HMV to pick up a DVD - there's nowhere for him to go to buy a film in the spur of the moment. Which reminded me of a newspaper article I read recently about the cost of British trains - you can no longer romantically go to a station and hop on a train somewhere, you have to book over a month in advance to be affordable! I'm probably digressing but all a sad indictment of the times...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index