Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: HMV about to enter adminastration!
Jan 15, 2013, 14:48
Toni Torino wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I'm also worried about the death of town centres. Before long all that will be left will be cafes, and they'll go out of business coz no-one has any reason to visit the town centre anymore. Whole communities will die because of the shrinking of the retail sector.

Dark times.

Yeah, Kebab & chicken takeaways & charity shops.

Communities also die because people are either "upwardly mobile", moving to a larger property every few years - at least up to a couple of years ago - or no longer have long-term rental agreements, especially with the council.

Was thinking where I grew up there was a parade of shops either side of a reasonably busy road.

There were 3 butchers, 2 greengrocers, 3 grocers, 1 hardware shop, 1 chippy, 1 barbers, 2 hairdressers, 1 wool shop, 1 shoe shop, 1 bookies, 2 chemists (1 with sub post-office), 1 clothes shop (women & kids), 3 sweetshops/newsagents, 1 pub, 1 launderette, 1 dry cleaners. I wonder what's there now?

Tesco Metro, Starbucks and Help the Aged.

Just a gander on google streetview, July 2012 (It's tuesday afternoon, I'm bored...)

1 pet shop, 2 bookies, 1 cafe, 1 internet cafe, 2 sweetshops/newsagents, 1 dry cleaners, 2 empty shops, 2 hairdressers, 1 offie, 1 barbers, 1 tanning salon, 1 discount store, 1 Chinese takeaway, 1 laundrette, 1 fried chicken takeaway, 2 grocers (1 large co-op), 2 chemists (1 sub post office), 1 hardware shop, 1 chippy, 1 pub, 1 butchers.

No Partridge in a pear tree?

That sounds like loads of high-streets in the country now.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index