Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: HMV about to enter adminastration!
Jan 15, 2013, 13:24
Squid Tempest wrote:
Spaceship mark wrote:
No I agree, that art, packaging etc can be represented digitally, but not properly appreciated OR preserved.
If physical product goes then, theoretically, everything could be wiped out by a massive electromagnetic pulse (although that would probably bugger tapes too, so no S-Club-7 cassingles would survive).

When I go home I will chisel the music for the S-Club-7 single into a slab of granite, that should preverve it.

A new take on the pop-rock genre. Good idea!

I shall join you in this endeavour of preservation by converting some parts of my collection into actual 'metal'.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 13:26
Spaceship mark wrote:
Very true, although there did seem to be a certain naughtiness at work in the way they were buried deep in the shop, requiring a gauntlet of considerable proportions to be run...

Sometimes you'd have to get past the end-of-level behemoth from Film Scores in order to claim your serene sanctuary.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 13:40
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Spaceship mark wrote:
No I agree, that art, packaging etc can be represented digitally, but not properly appreciated OR preserved.
If physical product goes then, theoretically, everything could be wiped out by a massive electromagnetic pulse (although that would probably bugger tapes too, so no S-Club-7 cassingles would survive).

When I go home I will chisel the music for the S-Club-7 single into a slab of granite, that should preverve it.

I shall join you in this endeavour of preservation by converting some parts of my collection into actual 'metal'.

They ought to be able to come up with the "indestructa-record" by now - an album made of a more resilient material than vinyl.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 13:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Spaceship mark wrote:

They ought to be able to come up with the "indestructa-record" by now - an album made of a more resilient material than vinyl.

When I was a school my friend had...for some reason...a Nolan Sisters 7" single that WASNT "I'm in the mood for dancing". One day he decided to destroy it and I enthusiastically joined in. By all the Gods, the thing was more resilient than the One True Ring! I don't know what infernal matter it was made of but it pretty much resisted all our attempts to bring about its destruction. Perhaps I should contact him and see if he still has it and can it be used as a template for a new, indestructible format?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 13:52
Fopp til you drop!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 13:53
Quite a wistful piece on it here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21023610
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2013, 14:14
Jan 15, 2013, 14:14
anthonyqkiernan wrote:

The high streets should be glad I can't download beer.

I've no doubt that your friendly neighbourhood off license will be the next casualty of the digital age. They're hardly going to stay open just to sell peanuts and Nik Naks, are they?
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 14:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
I'm also worried about the death of town centres. Before long all that will be left will be cafes, and they'll go out of business coz no-one has any reason to visit the town centre anymore. Whole communities will die because of the shrinking of the retail sector.

Dark times.

Yeah, Kebab & chicken takeaways & charity shops.

Communities also die because people are either "upwardly mobile", moving to a larger property every few years - at least up to a couple of years ago - or no longer have long-term rental agreements, especially with the council.

Was thinking where I grew up there was a parade of shops either side of a reasonably busy road.

There were 3 butchers, 2 greengrocers, 3 grocers, 1 hardware shop, 1 chippy, 1 barbers, 2 hairdressers, 1 wool shop, 1 shoe shop, 1 bookies, 2 chemists (1 with sub post-office), 1 clothes shop (women & kids), 3 sweetshops/newsagents, 1 pub, 1 launderette, 1 dry cleaners. I wonder what's there now?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 15, 2013, 14:34
Toni Torino wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I'm also worried about the death of town centres. Before long all that will be left will be cafes, and they'll go out of business coz no-one has any reason to visit the town centre anymore. Whole communities will die because of the shrinking of the retail sector.

Dark times.

Yeah, Kebab & chicken takeaways & charity shops.

Communities also die because people are either "upwardly mobile", moving to a larger property every few years - at least up to a couple of years ago - or no longer have long-term rental agreements, especially with the council.

Was thinking where I grew up there was a parade of shops either side of a reasonably busy road.

There were 3 butchers, 2 greengrocers, 3 grocers, 1 hardware shop, 1 chippy, 1 barbers, 2 hairdressers, 1 wool shop, 1 shoe shop, 1 bookies, 2 chemists (1 with sub post-office), 1 clothes shop (women & kids), 3 sweetshops/newsagents, 1 pub, 1 launderette, 1 dry cleaners. I wonder what's there now?

Tesco Metro, Starbucks and Help the Aged.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2013, 16:35
HMV - an alternative view
Jan 15, 2013, 14:39
I see our own Seb Hunter has just posted on Facebook about what a sad day this is for music retailing, and one of the replies he's received is:

"You wouldn't say that if you'd ever had the misfortune of working for those pricks. They didn't even give you a morning break, the tight c***s. Fuck 'em."

Now I've never worked for HMV so I can't comment directly, but I did work for our Price for three months and they were indeed tight c***s, so much so that I stopped shopping there after I left the job.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index