Top ten worst ever rock ballads

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Top ten worst ever rock ballads
Aug 07, 2012, 21:44
I think I'd add The Whole of the Moon, by The Waterboys to that list :)
keith a
9565 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 22:09
Moon Cat wrote:
wychburyman wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Sad Cafe were one of those Manchester England cult bands, the kind only really talked about in that area (I suppose.) If it wasn't for the Buzzcocks and Joy Division, that would be the only thing the city would be known for.

hahahhahha. I forgot about Sad Cafe. Didn't they do a song called "my oh my" as well?

Slade did a song called "My oh My" if that's what your're thinking of praps?

No, WBM is right - Sad Cafe did have a single called My Oh My. A top 20 hit in 1980. A bit Stonesy IIRC.

At the risk of losing that final tiny oz of credibility I really liked their first album, Fanx Ta Ra at the time (hello I Music Snob!), especially the single Black Rose, even though I was very into punk by then.

I've just had a look at wiki and it appears that a version of the band is still going (with the two original guitarists). Sadly the singer, Paul Young (no, not that one!) died some years ago.
keith a
9565 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 22:13
Moon Cat wrote:
Oh, and anyone on this forum that's, say, over 35 and is still saying they're 'embarrased' about liking a particular record should be embarrased about being 'embarrased' about liking certain pop musics.

It's just a saying. If we were that embarrassed we wouldn't admit to it!

As for goats, well it depends on the angle they're viewed from, surely? ; )
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2012, 09:09
Aug 08, 2012, 09:04
PMM wrote:

Me too.

We should have a list of good bands with bags of potential whose creative careers have been inadvertently derailed by annoying hit singles! Screaming Blue Messiahs for one.
wychburyman
951 posts

Aug 08, 2012, 10:03
IanB wrote:
PMM wrote:

Me too.

We should have a list of good bands with bags of potential whose creative careers have been inadvertently derailed by annoying hit singles! Screaming Blue Messiahs for one.

Blimey! This thread has unravelled a bit.

My benchmark is still November Rain
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 08, 2012, 10:25
wychburyman wrote:
IanB wrote:
PMM wrote:

Me too.

That was pretty horrible but I never liked G&R much. The bass player and drummer didn't swing at all.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Aug 08, 2012, 10:52
I'm not embarrassed by anything (apart from Holly Johnson's 'Blast' on tape, being the first album I ever bought, but admitted it, so it can't be that bad).

The, already mentioned, 'To be with you' by Mr Big always struck me as the most cynical of a cyncial bunch, coming as it did hot on the heels of Extreme's 'More than words' and that Mr Big, IIRC, were just a bunch of session musos with no soul.

The hair metal episode of the epic 11 (11!) part Metal Evolution documentary series goes into some detail as to how most of the bands were pretty much coerced (with a stick) into recording the obligatory power ballad so they could dupe folks into buying their awful records...

11! Geddit?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 08, 2012, 13:28
keith a wrote:
I thought I liked it until I actually listened to it the other day!

Heh! Sometimes reality bites don't it? Sometimes the illusion is best preserved.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 08, 2012, 13:29
IanB wrote:
wychburyman wrote:
IanB wrote:
PMM wrote:

Me too.

That was pretty horrible but I never liked G&R much. The bass player and drummer didn't swing at all.

Well, they probably did. Just not in the way you mean 8^)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 08, 2012, 13:30
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
goats being buggered by dwarves

Wasn't that by Merzbow?

The obligatory power ballad apparently 8^)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index