Top ten worst ever rock ballads

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Top ten worst ever rock ballads
Aug 07, 2012, 09:32
Lawrence wrote:
Sad Cafe were one of those Manchester England cult bands, the kind only really talked about in that area (I suppose.) If it wasn't for the Buzzcocks and Joy Division, that would be the only thing the city would be known for.

hahahhahha. I forgot about Sad Cafe. Didn't they do a song called "my oh my" as well?
Bolox2
110 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 10:36
Not heard this before, unlike the 40 million people who've watched it on YouTube. "And my guitar wants to sing" lovely.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 15:33
Some I like, some I don't...Like a lot of pop/rock/whatever.

Funny, I also can't stand Starships "Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now" but think JEFFERson Starship's "Jane" is one of the greatest things ever made ever.

Can't believe that this thread seems to be directed at what is supposedly a 'fundementally riduculous form'.

Er...Hello? About 98% of popular music of any stripe is fucking ridiculous! That's why it's great! Release! Abandon! Joyous tracjectories of silliness. Absurdity as art form. Eff YOO ENN! The only time it's funnier is when it takes itself sphincter-clenchingly seriously.

God help us if we were to live in some hideous Mojo mag world where 'gravitas', 'importance' and 'seriousness' and...gwsg... 'authenticity' is mandatory and anything else has you shot behind the Ministry of Profound. Where we have to pray towards Elvis Costello five times a day and chin stroking is an Olympic sport and everyones history is Orwellified so that everyone's first album was "The Velvet Underground and Nico"

Blimey, I bet Brain Donor caused some proper cognitive dissonance when they first unleashed 'emselves unto us all.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 15:38
Popel Vooje wrote:
keith a wrote:

I don't think I minded Boston's More Than A Feeling's at the time but it was early days for this soft rock thing and we didn't know what we were letting ourselves on for! It's pretty rubbish when you hear it these days, isn't it.

I don't know why, but for some reason I have an inexplicable, lingering fondness for that record. Maybe it's because I was 5 when it came out, and at that age your tastes are purer in a sense because you don't have any concept of what's cool or uncool. Same goes for REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You" - It's a classic example of a genre I usually hate, but that vocal melody is just so darned catchy...!

Michael Head of Pale Foutains/Shack also loves that record (as do I!) and has said how he had to hide his love of it during the more Stalinist years of Punk. Shack even bunged THAT riff sneakily in a song on their last album.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 15:39
wychburyman wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Sad Cafe were one of those Manchester England cult bands, the kind only really talked about in that area (I suppose.) If it wasn't for the Buzzcocks and Joy Division, that would be the only thing the city would be known for.

hahahhahha. I forgot about Sad Cafe. Didn't they do a song called "my oh my" as well?

Slade did a song called "My oh My" if that's what your're thinking of praps?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 15:45
You don't mean...I'm NOT meant to take it all seriously??? FUCK!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2012, 15:49
Aug 07, 2012, 15:49
Moon Cat wrote:

Can't believe that this thread seems to be directed at what is supposedly a 'fundementally riduculous form'.

Haha, I knew that would get ya ;). I'm just surprised it took you a couple of days. I was knowingly trolling, it was a very, very odd day in my head and I'm still not quite right tbh.

oops, it wasn't a couple of days, thats insomnia for you. I need to stop posting.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 15:52
stray wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Haha, I knew that would get ya ;). I'm just surprised it took you a couple of days. I was knowingly trolling, it was a very, very odd day in my head and I'm still not quite right tbh.

Tee hee. Only just come online today as things have also been a bit weird on the home front. In fact, a power ballad could be just what's needed. Lighters at the ready people and remember the key change at the end!

ps Is "Hey Jude" a power ballad?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 15:55
Squid Tempest wrote:
You don't mean...I'm NOT meant to take it all seriously??? FUCK!

KISS only. You have to take them really, really reeeally seriously or bad things happen in your head and blood falls out your nose.

Ps Power ballads did ruin Aerosmith. I mean, they had some proper belters in the early days -"Dream On"- but when they became the HITS....bleee. Get back to rockin' y'auld gits.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2012, 15:56
Aug 07, 2012, 15:56
Moon Cat wrote:

ps Is "Hey Jude" a power ballad?

Ha fuck, I dunno, I'm still reeling in shock at Ian telling us all that Joy Divisions 'Love will tear us apart' is a rock ballad. He's right. But the realisation that it is has properly fucked up my model of the universe. For the better too I think. :)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index