Top ten worst ever rock ballads

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Top ten worst ever rock ballads
Aug 06, 2012, 21:55
bubblehead2 wrote:
Terrible, terrible sub-genre with little to redeem it, thanks for reminding me !

Carrying on with the cheese analogy, i kinda think of the rock ballad as a piece of manky tasteless mild cheddar you find at the back of the fridge, unwanted and eminently disposable.

And November Rain is definitely up there with the worst of them. And Purple Rain with its interminable outro ( thanks for the reminder Keith ).

That said, i hope Isn't It Time by The Babys doesn't get a mention.

Er, prefer an over-produced 80's power ballad myself ( preferably performed by an American female singer with unfeasibly big hair). Good cheese usually stinks and there's some prime gorgonzola to be had with that sub-genre.

I'll get me hairspray and shoulder pads...

Fuck, dunno if it counts but The Living Years has just leapt into my head, Wychers, i hate you !

hahahhaha

sorry (seems to be the hardest word)
keith a
9570 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 22:54
Popel Vooje wrote:
keith a wrote:

I don't think I minded Boston's More Than A Feeling's at the time but it was early days for this soft rock thing and we didn't know what we were letting ourselves on for! It's pretty rubbish when you hear it these days, isn't it.

I don't know why, but for some reason I have an inexplicable, lingering fondness for that record. Maybe it's because I was 5 when it came out, and at that age your tastes are purer in a sense because you don't have any concept of what's cool or uncool. Same goes for REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You" - It's a classic example of a genre I usually hate, but that vocal melody is just so darned catchy...!

My most disliked power ballad would probably be "nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship, and it's compounded by the knowledge that the woman who wrote "White Rabbit" and "Two Heads" would be cycnical enough to attach her considerable vocal talents to such fatuous dreck.

Forgot about that Starship record. Truly dire! Mind you I've never been that keen on White Rabbit for some reason, even though I'd expect it to be my cup of tea.
keith a
9570 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 22:57
Good call! Hearing that whistling again made me want to superglue the offender's lips together!
keith a
9570 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 23:00
bubblehead2 wrote:

Carrying on with the cheese analogy, i kinda think of the rock ballad as a piece of manky tasteless mild cheddar you find at the back of the fridge, unwanted and eminently disposable.

I'm never having a cheese butty at your house, Bubbs!
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2012, 23:31
Aug 06, 2012, 23:12
stray wrote:
Um... surely it would be less time consuming to list the 'not that bad' rock ballads, as they're all fundamentally terrible what with it being such a ridiculous musical form. ;)

Agreed. Ten of my favourites, none of which are guilty pleasures but all are ridiculous:

Free - Oh I wept. Perhaps the greatest rock ballad ever.

Judas Priest - Last Rose of Summer, Here Come The Tears. Hysterically over the top. Both off Sin After Sin.

Jethro Tull - Slow Marching Band. One of my many "been dumped" songs.

Bloodrock - Fantastic Piece Of Architecture. The craziest thing ever committed to vinyl or whatever. I have no idea what they were thinking of.

Ted Nugent - Together. Off the fantastic Free For All.

Ursa Major - In My Darkest Hour. If Dick Wagner was from Britain he would have to of changed his name and the world would of been a poorer place. One of those "subtle" songs totally lacking subtlety. This is so awesome I have to put a link in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3TkweW7JU4

Now many of you have a new "most hated song ever".

Whitesnake - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City. So there.

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide.

Budgie - Parents.

Edit - Landslide, on reflection, is just a good song and not hysterical enough (in the literal sense) for the company I have put it in. So scratch that and I'll have Husker Du and Hardly Getting Over It/Too Far Down because good songs etc but Bob really needs a slap.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 23:15
Talking about Bloodrock, what about "Sable and Pearls"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJm9aZIkq2g

Now THAT'S funny!!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 23:16
Oh yeah they did.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 23:39
Lawrence wrote:
Talking about Bloodrock, what about "Sable and Pearls"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJm9aZIkq2g

Now THAT'S funny!!!!

Quite eccentric weren't they... "Architecture" still shades it though (sorry about this any unwary souls that click the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4MTqwf3UQ
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 04:12
keith a wrote:
Good call! Hearing that whistling again made me want to superglue the offender's lips together!

Yeah, it's something overwhelmingly REPULSIVE.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Aug 07, 2012, 04:14
ricky nadir wrote:

Still Lovin' You - Scorpions
Beth - KISS

Stinkin' pieces of toxic garbage.

By the way: EVERY 'metal' ballad is a piece of crap.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index