186 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 05, 2012, 21:29
Pursued By Trees wrote:
Having said all that ... I find My Chemical Romance's 'The Black Parade' overbearingly derivative, pompous and pretentious ... but then, that's something I can't stand in myself.

I am trying hard not to be a music snob, but must say, I find it a real struggle. I find it hard to comprehend how many people are not able to engage with music in the way I do!

A couple of years ago I was around my brother's house, leafing through his records for stuff to borrow and record (we shared a bedroom as teenagers and so when I moved out I obviously didn't take his records - except for one or two exceptions! - with me) when I found a bunch of Sweet 7"s. These belonged to his wife from her youth. I was impressed. When I chanced upon a 'Best Of Sweet' collection cd I snapped it up and saved it as an Xmas pressie for her. Some months after (we're no longer a close family) I had the opportunity to ask her what she thought, thinking she'd have been delighted to have her vinyl 45s on a playable format. She was totally dismissive, saying something like 'I suppose they were good in their day.' It's been stuff you can buy cheap in the January sales, wrap up and leave in the cupboard until December and then just stick a label on for her ever since.

:o)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index