Music You Just Can't GET

186 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 04, 2012, 14:14
Where to start!

I'll start with 2-3 that I at least respect and kinda wish I got...

Robert Wyatt - I find him a fascinating bloke. Until he starts singing in that silly voice (with the odd exception of course).

Peter Hammill - I admire his career and I'm glad he exists, but with the odd exception I don't like his tunes. Perhaps the best example of someone I just don't *get*.

Flaming Lips - I like Wayne Coyle. He'd be a great guest at a fancy dress party, but you'd have to take the mic off him if there was a kaorake machine on hand.

Otherwise...

Van Morrison - my fave track by him is Bright Side Of The Road which I'm sure most Van fans consider to be at the weaker end of his catalogue. I'm prepared to admit that this probably says more about me than it does Van.

Rush - like Peel, I do like a lot of singers with distinctive, sometimes extreme voices and as a Bolan fan I'm certainly not averse to listening to a grown man warble. But I hate silliness when it's dressed up as something big and important.

Kiss - I am not averse to panto. I go to one most years. But at least the one at the local theatre plays some good tunes. And they have woman dressed as a cat, not a bloke.

Dire Straits - I liked Sultans Of Swing and I didn't even mind Romeo & Juliet when that came out. But after that...oh dear. If you're going to be influenced by Dylan please let it be by his songs and not his voice so we're not left with rubbish voice and rubbish songs.

Metallica - How I wished the sandman had buried them. Twenty years ago preferably but at a push anytime before that album with Lou Reed would do.

Iron Maiden - and pretty much anything that might be described as heavy rock or metal after, say, 1975. How they and all those NWOBHM oiks could grow up listening to the likes of Sabbath and come up with such weedy nonsense is beyond belief. Even their albums covers are offensive.

Most prog. Not all because I think Gentle Giant are genius, but they had a heart that I found missing in a lot of it. Piano Improvisations? Practice your scales at home, Keith. Not in the studio. That Soft Machine link that was posted here recently sums up a lot. The odd decent moment but then it gets too clever clever by half. I had to take it off. It was making me ill.

Most modern singer-songwriters. I say this despite being someone who writes songs on an acoustic himself. I don't mind depressing, but I do object to dreary and most of the ones you see on Later unfortunately conform to the latter rather then the former.

Most modern 'pop' music. Cynical big chorus's sung by self-serving big voiced non-entities who put vocal histrionics before melody. As a self-proclaimed pop tart I find this deeply upsetting!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index