270 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 15, 2012, 20:44
stray wrote:
we just need to focus energies on this problem of isolationism, spend some time trying to widen the general conciousness. Yep, I'm sounding like a hippy here, which is very unlike me. Maybe Spivaks ideas of Strategic Essentialism can grow from one single issue group into another, and then another. so as to create some large assemblage that generates widespread change rather than just another easily identifiable (and therefore self-isolating) 'movement'.

Religion then... Oh dear.

Or we can pretend that the twentieth century never happened and give culture another shot. I was always struck by Terry Eagletons critique of the belief that being cultured made you a better person "When the Allied troops moved into the concentration camps ... to arrest commandants who had whiled away their leisure hours with a volume of Goethe, it appeared that someone had some explaining to do." The problem being that the arbiters of culture in the early twentieth century got vertigo in the face of a new mass literate society and escaped into exclusivety and a hatred of the imagined masses. Perhaps if we could cut out the elitism in culture and tried inclusivity… A rehabilitation for sentimentality would be a start.

Russia is currently providing us with a similar crisis for the counter culture. Vladislav Surkov, Putins Rasputin, has been a long haired Floyd loving poetry machine before his current incarnation as the puppet master for a frankly terrifying regime. He has even managed to turn Postmodernism into a tool of totalitarianism - what passes for the state being endlessly ironic and never saying anything directly whilst acting like gangsters.

Ideas often take on a life of their own and end up in the most unexpected places being used in the most unexpected ways. Still think religion is the best shot.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index