270 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 15, 2012, 16:32
The Sea Cat wrote:
Israel Regardie described him as 'a genius with the emotional developement of a ten year old boy'. I think that sums him up.

haha yep. On a slightly more serious note, arguments like the homeopathy argument you guys are having are becoming increasingly upsetting to me. I too side with squid in that I have little time for homeopathy. However, I too also know people well for whom it seems to have had a very beneficial effect, for whatever reason. Now I don't argue with them about it, cos doing so is directly challenging not only another persons personal experience but also their interpretations of their experience. Which is just.. OUCH... isn't it ? Attempting to rationalise what 'really' happened to help them etc, is also to me just .. ouch too.. Also the reasons behind doing that to someone are to me a purely defensive knee-jerk on the challengers part. At best, its an attempt to rationalise somebody elses experiences and interpretations into your world view in order to make you feel comfortable. At worst its an attempt to 'fix' the other persons stupid ideas. While this is completely acceptable when it comes to political discussions (dealing with racists etc, etc) I don't think it is acceptable when it comes to the emotional discussions of health, beliefs or diet. I dunno why though, I'm not being rational in making this distinction, its just my own thing I guess. I think it also relates to my hatred of psychology too though ;) Anyhow I think the most positive thing to do is always to accept that the other persons experiences (and their interpretations of them thereof) are going to make you uncomfortable. Deal with the discomfort shrug and move on.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index