270 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 15, 2012, 13:37
stray wrote:
It is extremely difficult to raise any kind of flag to rally people around in our western democracies, I completely appreciate that. People like cope who are co-opting revolutionary symbolism and effectively cashing in on (or proving their right on credentials) the current mood within the alternative sections of society really aren't helping anyoone except themselves. They are not raising a flag that anyone could rally around, they are not producing strategies or tactics, they're just wailing and protecting their own self image imo.

But this is not a problem unique to today. Revolutionary movements in Western Europe since the mid-sixties seem always to suffer because the most vocal, or those with the most brilliant eye catching events (or attrocities) seem with foresight to be about protecting or projecting their own self image. Baader Meinhoff - self publicists/mythologisers or revolutionaries. Often their activities seemed to make change less likely.

I often think that the problem is with the concept of "the masses". The biggest problem being that they do not exist, usually shorthand for people I do not know who do not share my insights or social group. Even when a group claims to be for the masses they are not of the masses. Self esteem and a desire to have an indulgence which makes one part of the solutuion and not the problem appears to be the prime concern of the most succesful or infamous.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index