Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2012, 08:24
Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 10, 2012, 17:58
Kosmischeboy wrote:
"When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the systems game. The establishment will irritate you: Pull your beard, flick your face to make you fight. Because once they've got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non violence and humour." - John Lennon.

That is a good quote and I think Lennon also understood (after a flip-flop or two) that it is artistically bankrupt to glamorise (let alone advocate) forms of violent activism for others (either directly or through works of art) that you are not going to engage in yourself. Gerhard Richter's response to the Baader Meinhof prison suicides is the more effective one politically AND artistically because you end up looking at his work and asking all the "why" questions about their story and its relevance to your story and the political and economic relationships that make up the foundations of your own life. That's an artistic response I can trust in. Rock stars with guns not so much. Remember, it's this GUITAR that kills Fascists. I would expect someone who was around RAR and the ANL and paying attention to know that. Unless that is a real gun (rather than a replica or a decommissioned one) in which case that's a whole other ball of confusion. Though I really can't see it myself, can you?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index