86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2011, 19:42
Re: Music of the mad.
Aug 21, 2011, 19:09
Good points there. I wasn't as clear in what I was saying as you were and you are right I was in my mid 20s and a father when the rave thing emerged. It wasn't meant for me.

I have no problem with home recording not least because I have indirectly been a beneficiary of the technology when it has come to mixing our records.

That said I worry about a technology that leads to the over-working and over-thnikng of rock music because I don't think it helps that particular art form. To me rock n roll is something that happens in a room. There are lots of genres of which that is not true but I think that in rock (by which I mean the broadest church of electric guitar music) it can take away a lot the energy that used to find its way on to tape because of (and in spite of) the economics of old school recording. That's what I meant by the Mekons thing. I don't want to turn the clock back so that records today sound just like they did in 1979. God forbid! But I think rock music benefits when there is a pressure to deliver a performance in the moment.

The main reason we have a bland rock mainstream is because the filters that exist are not looking for the edge they are looking for a safe wide margin just off the middle. That's the problem for me. Back in the day Time Out's music reviews were prefaced by the words along the lines of "What we like and what they want you to like". These days they are one and the same.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index