Unsung Forum »
Albums of the Year 2010

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 22, 2010, 20:39
I like what I've heard from that Ariel Pink as well as Women's Public Strain (kind of a Sonic Youth deal with Zombies-ish vox). Wasn't too into the Arcade Fire apart from a few songs. I kind of like what I've heard of that MGMT, actually. As for metal, the Burzum grew on me quite a bit. Not his best by a long shot, but worthy of the name and worth listening to. I really liked Demontage's (Canada) "The Principal Extinction." Kind of a cross between weird 80s heavy metal (Brocas Helm, Manilla Road, Mercyful Fate) and the Czech black metal bands (Master's Hammer, Root). Check it out. I also liked what I've heard of the Atlantean Kodex, which was more of an epic/doom metal thing, like early Candlemass meets early Manowar or something. I liked the Zuul album for hard rockin' nwobhm throwback worship.

Other than that, I've mostly been listening to old stuff.
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Dec 22, 2010, 21:20
Finally managed to narrow down the RYM list I posted earlier (http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Eye_Shaking_King/best_of_2010) from 90+ entries to just under 40.

So here it is, in pictorial form, my Top 39 albums of 2010:

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/lk/l/u/f3da6452af6111c4c6ed8c3ef643ecfb/3479876.jpg
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Dec 22, 2010, 21:23
Dec 22, 2010, 21:22
Moon Cat wrote:
toasted-whippet wrote:
Dragontears - 2000 Micrograms from home

What's Dragontears like dude? The band name and album title give me thrills before I've heard a note.

Toasted Whippet's description isn't far off I reckon, they do really remind me of Monster Magnet sometimes.

I'd say that 2000 Micrograms from Home is the best album I've bought all year but it's from a coupla years ago so it's not that new. Killer album though.

There's was some chattage about Dragontears on this 'ere thread 'ere: http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/60184/flat/0/

Enjoy.
sencha
sencha
91 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 17:10
Thanks,

I really didn't know Salisbury, heard Look at Yourself and quite liked July Morning.

I'm sure I could find the original product without too much of a search, was wondering if the reissue is drastically clearer, revelatory, similar to the master tapes.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 21:29
Album of the year for me was 'Here Lies Love' by David Byrne (ably assisted by Fat Boy Slim and a host of vocalists). If anyone could pull off a double-album of dancey tracks relating the story of Imelda Marcos, it's Byrne.

Other notable releases this year from my point of view...

Brian Eno - "Small Craft on a Milk Sea"
Arcade Fire - "The Suburbs"
David Bowie - "Reality Live"
The Legendary Pink Dots - "Seconds Late For The Brighton Line"

Also really enjoyed Atticus Ross & Trent Reznor's soundtrack to The Social Network (though haven't seen the film) and Warren Ellis & Nick Cave's soundtrack to The Road (which I did see and thought was excellent though flawed).

Probably forgetting some others, but in truth 2010 was very much a year in which I listened to more old favourites than new releases.
duckbreath
254 posts

Dec 29, 2010, 18:03
I loved all these...

1. Parting Gifts - Strychnine Dandelion
2. Liminanas - st
3. Timmy's Organism - Rise of the Green Gorilla
4. The Black Jaspers - The Black Jaspers
5. The White Wires - WWII
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Dec 29, 2010, 18:27
grufty jim wrote:
...Also really enjoyed Atticus Ross & Trent Reznor's soundtrack to The Social Network (though haven't seen the film)...

I wasn't that drawn to the idea of the film, however, thanks to some cajoling by friends tagged along. It is a good film - and I agree, that soundtrack is excellent!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Dec 29, 2010, 20:11
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's been an od year, lots heard but no complete album that really made me swoon, despite some rather fine electronica in particular. Here's a provisional list of 25 though:

1. School of Seven Bells - Disconnect From Desire
2. Rowland S. Howard - Pop Crimes
3. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
4. Brian Eno - Small Craft On A Milk Sea
5. Heligoland - Massive Attack
6. Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back
7. Interpol - Interpol
8. Darkstar - North
9. Underworld - Barking
10. Autechre - (Oversteps)
11. Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner
12. Luke Abbott - Holkham Drones
13. The Parks Dept. - No/Noise
14. Grasscut - 1 Inch: 1/2 Mile
15. Skjolbrot - Maersk
16. Edwyn Collins - Losing Sleep
17. Grinderman - Grinderman 2
18. Blood Red Shoes - Fire Like This
19. Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be
20. Four Tet - There Is Love In You
21. The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
22. Emma Pollock - The Law Of Large Numbers
23. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
24. Cathal Coughlan - Rancho Tetrahedron
25. A Certain Ratio - Mind Made Up

Soundtrack:
The The - Tony

Re-issue:
Koner box set or The Cure's Disintegration probably. The Madness re-issues have been very well done as well. Haven't got the Orange Juice box set yet though...

Disappointment:
Freebass' awful album (not a surprise as such) and the Goldfrapp album, after how good their last one was.

Must add Walls by Walls to this list, having only recently got it and really liking it. And the Cathal album deserves to be higher, following some rather more careful and repeated listens.

And yes, the OJ boxset steals the Re-issues title too.
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Dec 29, 2010, 20:22
Just one for me:

Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Dec 30, 2010, 16:23
Four Tet - There Is Love In You