Bowie, genius or not...

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Bowie, genius or not...
Jul 28, 2010, 16:43
Beck is doing it now, in our wonderful ironic postmodern world

Dressing like a Kubuki Queen and singing about cops kissing the feet of priests was fairly risque in the 70s, however you look at it he took various elements and sold them to the masses. In 75 when I started listening to music Quo were regarded as elegant, Plant & Page were strange Godlike creatures and Bowie was the man who fell to earth, truly exotic. No internet, 3 channels on the telly, seaside entertainment as prime time tv, too fucking right people of a certain age hold him in awe
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:44
machineryelf wrote:
zphage wrote:
keith a wrote:
zphage wrote:
keith a wrote:
zphage wrote:

interesting, but derivative

That's a bit rich coming from someone who likes Budgie.

Actually 68/69 Budgie was ahead of its time.

Davy was in his Newley phase then, wasn't he?

What are you basing that on - demo's, live shows? The first album wasn't released until 1971.

I like the description in the NME Book Of Rock Vol 2 back in the 70's when they called Budgie "a somewhat pedestrian heavy riffing outfit".

If you like that kinda thing, good luck to you.

formed in '67,

pedestrian riffing is bass driven as opposed to Zep, Purple, and Sabbath

and different than Free's bass driven sound

FFS Budgie were a trio, pretty difficult to be driven by anything else, I love Budgie but at no point in their career were they ever cutting edge, they are a superior hard rock band hamstrung by a vocalist who can be best described as unusual

Hmm.. Hendrix was a trio, not really bass driven, same with James Gang and Grand Funk

Cream was a essentially guitar driven , with bass used melodically, but definitely not as spare as Budgie or Free
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:44
Poor chap. Probably just spent all night hiding from the demons that left the nasty stain on his Hollywood swimming pool.
keith a
9570 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:45
machineryelf wrote:
They weren't , they were ploughing the same rut Sabbath, Heep and a bunch of others were, admittedly at the time it was a fresh rut but nothing unless playing blues through fuck off stacks was that startingly original. Try the Yardbirds,Kinks, Blue Cheer or [darkcloudsloom] CLAPTON [oh no , it's the C word]

Or compare Budgie to Pink Floyd in 67, or whatever, how the fuck do you get from Bowie to Budgie, where is that 6 degree site

btw greatest metal LP ever The Man Who Sold The World, lets get that ball rolling:-)

Sorry! I've got to take responsibility for that thread diversion, MYE, commenting on someone who said Budgie were distinctive then saying DB was derivative.

I don't remember hearing Budgie until the mid-70's by which time they sounded like loads of other bands that were around, exept - IMO - nowhere near as good as a lot of them. I was wondering if I'd been missing some late 60's work that I was unaware of.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:46
machineryelf wrote:
Beck is doing it now, in our wonderful ironic postmodern world

Dressing like a Kubuki Queen and singing about cops kissing the feet of priests was fairly risque in the 70s, however you look at it he took various elements and sold them to the masses. In 75 when I started listening to music Quo were regarded as elegant, Plant & Page were strange Godlike creatures and Bowie was the man who fell to earth, truly exotic. No internet, 3 channels on the telly, seaside entertainment as prime time tv, too fucking right people of a certain age hold him in awe

context is everything
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:50
machineryelf wrote:
In 75 when I started listening to music Quo were regarded as elegant...

There might be something wrong with that statement.

NB I love 70's Quo.
keith a
9570 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:54
zphage wrote:

the nature of your fandom shouldn't be a fragile egg

you usually have no problem being blunt

I'm not sure I've ever referred to myself as a Bowie fan, have I? He's never been my favourite ever artist. That said I've got most of the records and I think a lot of them are great.

But there's no blind fandom. I've never been a massive fan of Ziggy, which puts me in a definite minority. I don't dislike it or anything, but its nowhere near being my fave DB LP. But Hunky Dory and Low are pretty much as good as it gets for me (as are numerous 45's lest we forget them).

As a matter of interest, which eggs aren't fragile?

And I can live with 'blunt'!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:55
Canine (Diamond Dogs)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:57
Dinosaur eggs?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 16:57
keith a wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
They weren't , they were ploughing the same rut Sabbath, Heep and a bunch of others were, admittedly at the time it was a fresh rut but nothing unless playing blues through fuck off stacks was that startingly original. Try the Yardbirds,Kinks, Blue Cheer or [darkcloudsloom] CLAPTON [oh no , it's the C word]

Or compare Budgie to Pink Floyd in 67, or whatever, how the fuck do you get from Bowie to Budgie, where is that 6 degree site

btw greatest metal LP ever The Man Who Sold The World, lets get that ball rolling:-)

Sorry! I've got to take responsibility for that thread diversion, MYE, commenting on someone who said Budgie were distinctive then saying DB was derivative.

I don't remember hearing Budgie until the mid-70's by which time they sounded like loads of other bands that were around, exept - IMO - nowhere near as good as a lot of them. I was wondering if I'd been missing some late 60's work that I was unaware of.

I like Budgie Keith, I expect that tells you as much about them as you want to know

no you havn't missed Budgie VU covers lp or the proto Stooges phase, they do have some great lyrics though

Woman, climbing
Drifting, wild one
These visions of a mystery girl
And she's coming out of cloud nine yeah
Oh I can see her
Nude yeah yeah
Disintegrating parachutist woman

just when you think you've sussed them they drop in the line 'Nude Disintegrating Parachute Woman' wtf ;-)
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index