Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2010, 00:21
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 July 2010 CE
Jul 25, 2010, 12:27
Man, it was mean:

Gillan 'Toolbox' - quite the man's heaviest album, from the dark days of his temporary Purple dismissal in the early 90's, No wonder Blackmore was persuaded to take him back, albeit under duress;

Christine Collister 'Live' - superb live set from 1994 featuring Christine's faultless voice in a variety of well-chosen covers and original songs. This lady is supremely talented and in a juster world would be an absolute superstar (as would her former partner, not that I would want to provoke any trouble);

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel 'The Best Years Of Our Lives' - peak period Harley at his best: the purest link between The Kinks and English punk;

Brinsley Schwarz 'The New Favourites Of Brinsley Schwarz' - smiles guaranteed from any Brinsleys record, especially this one;

Caravan 'The World Is Yours' - decent early career overview with some curious issues (the excision of the "Come On Back" section from "Oik' being unforgivable) but uniformly great songwriting;

Steve Winwood 'Revolutions' - another good one-stop-shop, bought for the inclusion of a terrific new recording of 'Spanish Dancer', my favourite ever Winwood song. The remastering of the older material is particularly impressive here - I've never heard the Traffic material sound so good off of vinyl as here;

U-Roy 'Natty Rebel' - a little bit of toast, done heavy heavy dub style, y'know;

Dire Straits 'Communique' - go on laugh, but I've always dug the first three Dire Straits LP's, and this still rings gloriously out of my Tannoys after 31 years;

The Teardrop Explodes - Peel/Read session stuff from the mostly pointless new deluxe edition of 'Kilimanjaro';

Joy Division 'Closer' - unremitting doom and gloom with Martin Hannett's best ever production job; I've never rated this quite as much as 'Unknown Pleasures' but there's no denying it SOUNDS great, especially on vinyl;

Tom Verlaine 'Cover' - short, dated but enjoyable, 1984 solo effort;

John Coltrane 'Coltrane Plays The Blues' - peerless, peak era Coltrane at his best;

Maynard Ferguson 'Live At Jimmy's' - fine Teo Macero produced live set from the great screechman's early 70's big band years.

More Mahler this week, courtesy of the bargain Gary Bertini symphony cycle on EMI, well worth £25 of anyone's dosh. Forget Joy Division - this is how to convey gloom in music.

Never got to the Kent Beer Festival after all, alas - duty of care issues prevented it - but ale was supped more locally. Check out the Draught Bass in The Stag's Head next time you're in South Shields, beer-loving friends!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index