32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Jun 27, 2010, 11:14
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 June 2010 CE
Jun 27, 2010, 11:14
Supercharge 'Horizontal Refreshment' - terrific early Mutt Lange production job on a really classy 70's act, a funky blend of Hall & Oates-ish blue-eyed soul and pre-Dexys Staxness. Love it;

Julian Cope 'Fried' and 'Saint Julian' (including interview disc) - I still really enjoy these early Cope solo epics, even if - as in the latter instance - he had a hit-hungry major pulling at his creative strings. Result: one seriously good record of pure pop magic, time-locked but streets ahead of most of the kack it shared the racks with at the time;

Heaven 17 'Penthouse & Pavement' - their finest hour by a country mile;

Swell Maps 'Jane From Occupied Europe' - juicy and shambolic, DIY rock and roll with an enthralling avant-garde edge;

Discharge 'Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing' - still about as hard and raw as it comes, I heard this on a really good turntable for the first time this week and thrilled anew to its searing speed and power;

Steve Winwood 'About Time' - the first of two (and counting) fine albums from Steve's current band, blending soul, latin, African and R&B vibes into an enthralling whole. The man's chops are still in great nick;

Soft Machine 'Softs' - excellent new Esoteric remaster of the first Softs album not to feature any founding members, this has a great first half but peters out woefully in the second. A game of two sides then, but well worth the investment for 'The Tale of Taliesin' and 'Ban-Ban Caliban' alone;

The Rolling Stones 'Let It Bleed' - Jagger at his debauched best (how the f did he get knighted?)

Keith Jarrett 'Solo Concerts - Bremen & Lausanne' - the first of Jarrett's sprawling sets of off-the-cuff solo improvisations, it always amazes me how he can pull gorgeous melodies out of thin air as here. And though his sometimes endless vamping and tuneless vocalising does temper the joy at times, the end result always satisfies. Precious and pretentious he may be, but there's no-one else like him in any genre;

Robert Still: Symphonies 3 & 4 and Humphrey Searle: Symphony no.2 - another impressive Lyrita reissue of two forgotten English composers.

And that's me for another week. Good listening, discerning music lovers.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index