Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: DUB Advice
Jun 08, 2010, 18:54
Where are you based?
If you're in London I'd make a bee-line for Honest John's on Portobello rd cos a lot of the Trojan 2cds i mentioned above are or certainly were 7.99 a pop plus they're pretty knowledgeable.

there's also a Soul Jazz shop in the centre of Soho that leans heavily to dub.

Rough trade has a section on the music in both of its London shops. Don't know how deeply informed they are on the subject but they used to be very clued in on a lot of stuff.
stevo
sourpuss
31 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 20:31
the earlier shouts for Dr Alimantado are bang on in my humble opinion, best dressed chicken in town is simply awesome.
Also love the Dub side of the moon album, the same band did Ok computer not as good but interesting in places
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 20:40
Again Sea Cat I haven't read through all the answers here so hope I'm not repeating what others say

(well I know I am repeating what others say here but...) Augustus Pablo - King Tubby meets Rockers Uptown - you have to get that (and Keith Hudson - Pick a Dub)

A very good and cheap compilation is Dub Chill Out on Music Club. Cheap but no duff numbers and a pretty good range of stars.

Santic and Friends - An Even Harder Shade of Black. Awesome album.

There's also a Horace Andy album with the originals, whih are lovely and dub versions which are lovely-in-a-different-way that I can't find at the monent (soz).

x
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 21:19
Yeah, that sadly-now-OOP 'Dub Chill Out' compilation was great, despite the slightly cringey title. It was one of my introductions to the genre alongside the excellent Blood And Fire samplers - some of which are still available as MP3s.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 21:23
Yeah, bad title! Didn't know it was OOP. Does that mean i can offer Sea Cat a copy without feeling bad?....

x
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 22:43
Lots of great recommendations here, but surprised that nobody has flagged up this: http://www.answers.com/topic/rhythm-collision-dub

Not 'pure' dub my any means, but a great and credible introduction for the tied in the wool rockist.

For something a bit more trad, but relatively unheralded, try this:
http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/album_detail.php?id=bafcd015
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 22:44
Oops, dyed in the wool, that is
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 09, 2010, 07:23
As it's OOP, I tried to find it on the Library site. If the offer of a copy is still open, that would be wonderful.
:-)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 09, 2010, 07:25
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for all your help and great suggestions. I really appreciate it, and I'm going to be busy !

Om Shanti.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Jun 09, 2010, 08:41
The Sea Cat wrote:
I'm going to be busy

Yeah, right. Sprawled out on scatter cushions in a herbal fug, as subsonic patterns shake the floor.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index