Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: DUB Advice
Jun 08, 2010, 15:07
The Sea Cat wrote:
It's good to have a very broad church.

Amen.

I'm more of a Roots Reggae fan- I think Reggae took a bit of a nosedive after that petered out, but I think Dub held its own for a couple of years. Someone mentioned Yabby You earlier, I can't recommend Jesus Dread enough. It's loaded with some of King Tubby's best work- dubbifications of Yabby You tunes.

I've also got a soft spot for Garvey's Ghost, the dub version of Burning Spear's Marcus Garvey, but I'll admit it's nowhere near as essential as some of the other records people have mentioned already.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 15:11
Burning Spear. I have heard some and it was mighty!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2010, 15:23
Jun 08, 2010, 15:13
And for what I reckon is Lee "Scratch" Perry's most OTT production (which is quite something for a man who'd leave master tapes out in the sun to give them that irie warped sound), I'd give Ras Michael's Love Thy Neighbour a listen. He also goes by the name Dadawah.

Here's one of my favourite cuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRfdX0yxRp0
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 15:16
Sin Agog wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
It's good to have a very broad church.

Amen.

I'm more of a Roots Reggae fan- I think Reggae took a bit of a nosedive after that petered out, but I think Dub held its own for a couple of years. Someone mentioned Yabby You earlier, I can't recommend Jesus Dread enough. It's loaded with some of King Tubby's best work- dubbifications of Yabby You tunes.

I've also got a soft spot for Garvey's Ghost, the dub version of Burning Spear's Marcus Garvey, but I'll admit it's nowhere near as essential as some of the other records people have mentioned already.

Garvey's Ghost is indeed splendid :-)

ooh, no one has mentioned Prince Far I. Cry Tough Dub Encounter Vol 3 is a classic.
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 15:59
Sin Agog wrote:
He also goes by the name Dadawah.

[/url]

His 'Peace & Love' album under that name is some of the finest dub I've ever heard. Recently reissued, so it's most definitely available too.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 16:11
The Sea Cat wrote:
I admit it. I don't have any, but I have heard some King Tubby and various other bits and pieces over the years. When I woke up today I had a strange craving for Dub. Can anyone recommend some other artists ? A good compilation would be great if anyone knows of one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_Side_of_the_Moon

;o)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 16:41
Hey! I might finally get a Floyd post 69 vibe going. Good Man!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 17:06
Genius.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 17:28
I first heard that album at a party, about six years ago - And thoroughly loved it. It works.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 18:43
Look through the Trojan 2cd sets
http://www.trojan-records.com/
is the main site website and they have new dub anthology just out, as in yesterday.
But I was thinking more of Flashing Echo which was their Dub compilation which came out towards the start of the decade.
Also things like the King tubby In Fine Style set, or Lee Perry Wonderman Years or the Keith Hudson compi.

Dub Echoes the film is very worth checking out, that came out on Soul Jazz with an accompanying double cd.

Blood & Fire also put out a lot of decent dub.
Stevo
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index