72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2010, 04:43
Re: Zappa
Mar 02, 2010, 04:37
I like the energy on a lot of the Mothers albums. In fact, was just stompin' along to "Return of the Son of Monster Magnet" off of 'Freak Out' just yesterday, a totally mad and wonderful bit of orchestrated vocal cacophony with a heavy back beat.

"Trouble Comin' Every Day" is another monster of a song w/message.

I get a kick out of most of the Mothers stuff because it's irreverent and a bit out to lunch, and yet they're very much in control of where they're going.

'Weasels Ripped My Flesh' is a good one. Very psychedelic.... and when it breaks into that heavy blues 'Directly From My Heart To You' & Jean Luc Ponty's fiddle comes in.... ah!

There's a certain resemblance on some levels between the Mothers and the Bongo Dog Doo-Dah band... the costumes, the deadpan humor, the subversive edge. I get the feeling sometimes with both bands that there is a really dark underbelly to the humor, tho. It's no secret on stuff like 'Uncle Meat'... a deliberate excursion into grotesquery. But even when either band was being just silly, there's a hint of menace in there. This is very much both bands playing the classic clown- the chaotic, reckless figure who obeys his own inner code.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index