handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Zappa
Feb 26, 2010, 14:05
IanB wrote:
handofdave wrote:
IanB wrote:
I just think his music is way too clenched and uptight and lacking in swing but as a second tier classical composer he was pretty deent I think.

Yep. Conceptually and structurally his more 'classical' stuff is very unsettling and jagged.

Ironically, it's where he's just free-playing on the guitar that he loosens up and forgets how brilliant he is, if ya know what I mean.

Totally! Artists and writers whose first thought is to let the world know how very clever they are tend to make fairly shitty art.

It's the over-self-analyzing that kills it.
The more labored something is, the more it suffers. That's why the best stuff often emerges without a lot of editing and tinkering and even THINKING, tho of course not always.

The phenomenon of 'letting the spirit take you' is where things really get interesting in my opinion... tapping into the pure stream of creative energy. And in fact it's a process that a lot of music and art starts with- sometimes ends with.

Some of the most interesting stuff happens when one isn't consciously attempting to do something interesting.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index