Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2010, 15:21
Re: Lady Gaga on The Brits
Feb 18, 2010, 15:21
I can't help it, there's something about Liam I kind of like, in a mum-like 'aaaah bless' kind of way.

Sometimes I think he sends himself up, albeit badly.

And unlike Lennon, I don't think he comes across as a 'right' w*nker, just a cartoon version of one.

x
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 15:28
sanshee wrote:
I can't help it, there's something about Liam I kind of like, in a mum-like 'aaaah bless' kind of way.

Sometimes I think he sends himself up, albeit badly.

And unlike Lennon, I don't think he comes across as a 'right' w*nker, just a cartoon version of one.

x

I think Liam had a hard child hood. Thats where the anger comes from as did John's. Although, like LL rightly said John was a clever man.

(((charrr)))
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 15:37
Vybik Jon wrote:
I can take or leave pop in general, but I understand the arguments being put forward. What strikes me is that current pop is so uniform & manufactured, that anyone seeming to be remotely 'different' (whatever the fuck that might mean) is going to attract attention. Lady Gaga has, but is it warranted? Take away the uniform manufactured pop and how dazzling is she?

But don't you think that's always been the case? The charts have always been full of dire crap that's made anyone with a hint of inventiveness stand out, whether it's just image or whatever. There's never been a golden age of pop. For what it's worth I do think Lady GaGa is a triumph of image over musical interest, but that's always happening in pop. Take Marilyn Manson for example. He spoke a good game and pissed parents off and looked full-on, but musically it was Depeche Mode B-sides.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

BRITs Album of 30 Years nominees
Feb 18, 2010, 15:49
BRITs Album of 30 Years
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Dido - No Angel
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Duffy - Rockferry
Keane - Hopes & Fears
Oasis - (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
Sade - Diamond Life
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Travis - The Man Who

Fuck OFF!!!!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2010, 15:58
Re: BRITs Album of 30 Years nominees
Feb 18, 2010, 15:57
Lord Lucan wrote:
BRITs Album of 30 Years
Dido - No Angel
Duffy - Rockferry
Keane - Hopes & Fears
Sade - Diamond Life
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Travis - The Man Who

Fuck OFF!!!!

I'm proud to say I neither own, nor have heard any of these albums (bar the odd cack single of course).

Irksomely, the Independent on Sunday polled 30 musicians and journalists last weekend to compile an alternative, supposedly more cutting edge list, but with the exceptions of "Loveless" and "Dummy" it wasn't much better.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 15:59
Ooooh it's like being a child in a coconut-themed sweetshop
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2010, 16:52
Feb 18, 2010, 16:26
Popel Vooje wrote:
Lord Lucan wrote:
BRITs Album of 30 Years
Dido - No Angel
Duffy - Rockferry
Keane - Hopes & Fears
Sade - Diamond Life
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Travis - The Man Who

Fuck OFF!!!!

I'm proud to say I neither own, nor have heard any of these albums (bar the odd cack single of course).

Irksomely, the Independent on Sunday polled 30 musicians and journalists last weekend to compile an alternative, supposedly more cutting edge list, but with the exceptions of "Loveless" and "Dummy" it wasn't much better.

The Verve - Urban Hyms *is* a good album! Sorry but it is. .. even tho I wouldn't say it is one of the best albums ever. Far from it.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2010, 23:59
Feb 18, 2010, 17:02
Couldn't agree more. The music industry launches at very least a dozen new so-called geniuses a year and much of it, like fashion, is about running just far enough ahead of the cultural zeitgeist that a large number of people will throw a great deal of money at you so as to show everyone else that they have caught up with the style leader.

Too far ahead and you will probably have a load of rave reviews but nothing much in the bank to show for it. If you are so late you are always busy looking for the bandwagon de jour then you probably already missed it.

Lets face it that's not really the mark of a mature musical culture! So to hang anything more than the thrill-of-the-moment on any rock or pop is ultimately self defeating.

It (be "it" the music, the package, the shoes, the hair, the microphone twirl, the dance steps, the junkie chic, the teenage existentialist angst etc) either gets you off or it doesn't and chances are you will feel differently about it next week, month, year in any case.

To cross a couple threads I would rather spend £30 to see Lady Gaga than Primal Scream but that's not really measure of anything other than my own quirks as a pop consumer.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 17:11
Lord Lucan wrote:
Now now! I like La Roux. There, I've said it. It's good throwaway pop. It might be waaay too in love with the 80's, backed up by a rampantly opinionated ego and stupid hairdo. But that's what all pop acts are at the moment. It sounds better to my ears than Lady GaGa anyway, who seems like an unholy cross between Scissor Sisters and Marilyn Manson to me, neither of which I liked in the first place. Oh, and I've been playing the La Roux album (or at least the first half of it) a lot the last couple of months, and will probably never play it again after another month. Just as things should be with a good pop album.

I like it too! Loved the singles, took a punt on the album, great stuff. Thought it might be a case of singles good, rest of album not good. The track with the childrens choir is lovely. Wonder what she puts in her hair to get that quiff going? Doesn't look waxy or gelled, hmmmmm.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 17:31
Did you know her mum played June Ackland on 'The Bill'? She also went to Royal Russel school in my hometown of Croydon (which from what I can recall was a posh school for thick kids that couldn't pass the entrance exams for any of the more prestigious schools, but don't quote me on that...)

As for her hair, all I can think of is that famous scene from 'There's Something about Mary' (another film I haven't actually seen!)

I don't know much about her music but I find her look a lot more off-putting than Lady GaGa's - no idea why.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index