most Psychedelic record?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2010, 15:06
Re: most Psychedelic record?
Jan 24, 2010, 13:56
For me that would be almost impossible to answer because there are so many to choose from. "Tago Mago" would be a hot contender though - it's both sonically expansive and structurally minimal enough to be the perfect accompaniment to a trip. Also, the Flaming Lips' "Zaireeka" sounded incredible the one time I listened to it on shrooms with the four CD players rather than just as a mixdown. Luckily I had a couple of non-tripping friends in tow (as well as one who was) though otherwise I don't think I'd have been capable of cueing them all up.

Oddly enough, to me a lot of music that normally gets bracketed as psychedelic doesn't sound good on hallucinogens. I've listened to "Revolver, "Forever Changes" and the Beach Boys' "Smile" whilst tripping but - as great as they all are - they just sounded cluttered and over-busy whilst under the influence. Music with a more minimal amnd repetitive base like early Funkadelic, most krautrock, dub and ambient are usually more appropriate I find.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 14:31
Jan 24, 2010, 14:30
somebody just posted this to another list
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs127.snc3/17448_545102119104_28300317_32171989_6500094_n.jpg

so I thought I'd use your post as an excuse to forward it
maybe it needed a thread of its own
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 15:18
To me , Country Joe & The Fish :
Electric Music For Mind And Body
is among the few truly
Psychedelic albums .
earthlingfred93
1114 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 15:18
We love you by the stones
Cecil rons by caravan
keep your mind open by Kaleidescope
Flame-sky...santana

I'll change me mind in half an hour....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 15:22
I'd add some of these
Chrome around 1/2 Machine Lip Moves
Sun Ra in various places especially Strange Celestial Road lp
Larry Young Lawrence of Newark
Pop group Y
Miles Davis at various points in his electric era.
Coltrane in various places
several bits of Fela Kuti
Savage Republic's Jamahiriya was very good as a tripping lp but not sure if it'd rank that highly against some more extreme lps.
& of course Krautrock is littered with eye opening moments.

Think I'd view Funhouse as a much more psychedelic lp than the 1st one too.
I find something pretty psychedelic in the excess of the Birthday Party in places too.

the blunted hip hop scene e.g New Kingdom, wordsound, etc
dub

West african music seems very trippy possibly because of the tunings.
berber stuff too

Stevo
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 15:32
Jan 24, 2010, 15:22
A psychedelic masterpiece for sure. I love the differences between English and American psych. Both quite separate but equally wonderful. They do seem to converge in White Rabbit though.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 16:10
The Sea Cat wrote:
A psychedelic masterpiece for sure. I love the differences between English and American psych. Both quite separate but equally wonderful. They do seem to converge in White Rabbit though.

In a general sense, "Alice In Wonderland" framed UK psych, "Wizard Of Oz" framed US psych, with exceptions, and additional tales.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 16:17
The Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
Ween - The Pod
Coil - Time Machines
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 16:37
Jan 24, 2010, 16:37
The Buttholes! 'Hairway To Steven' and the Flaming Lips' 'In A Priest Driven Ambulance' have got to be two of the ultimate album titles of genius, ever.

Great sounds therein an'all.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 16:41
zphage wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

In a general sense, "Alice In Wonderland" framed UK psych, "Wizard Of Oz" framed US psych, with exceptions, and additional tales.

And of course the absence of Vietnam's shadow in UK psych, that was left free to cavort with Carroll and Aubrey Beardsley etc.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index