Arena Eno Documentary.

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2010, 00:05
Re: Arena Eno Documentary.
Jan 17, 2010, 00:04
Sounds like Wobble got a bit tired of Eno's 'ways' during the recording of Spinner, which isn't a great record anyway IMO. Typical muso stuff. Don't think their collaboration was a meeting of similar minds. Where Eno is more studied and planned, Wobble is more spontaneous and natural.

I thought Nerve Net was very average. I quite like a few internet music things he's done and the 77 million paintings thing LL mentioned but for someone of his stature, don't think he's come up with much in the last 20 years. His 'Swollen Appendices' book is an ambient version of Hello magazine.

8)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 00:38
Really liked the track "This" off Another Day on Earth, one of my favourite tracks of recent years. Quite agree that the high-water mark for Eno may have been reached and left behind 20 years or so ago. Quite like Spinner though!
landells
landells
680 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 00:43
a quick aside: is the Jah Wobble book worth seeking out? I have a lot of happy memories listenting to his music
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2010, 01:03
Jan 17, 2010, 00:57
There's mini Eno's a third of his age (or maybe a quarter his age) around the globe who are probably keyed into the latest technology and are developing ways (whether planned or by accident - but more often by accident) to take music onto the next level.

Will dig out Spinner later for an airing. Not heard it for ages.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2010, 01:13
Jan 17, 2010, 01:13
Yeah it's a good read. I like his honesty and respect his navigation through the music industry.

8)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 11:48
dave clarkson wrote:
There's mini Eno's a third of his age (or maybe a quarter his age) around the globe who are probably keyed into the latest technology and are developing ways (whether planned or by accident - but more often by accident) to take music onto the next level.

I liked it a few years ago when he said something like- 'Now, with certain software, you can just hold down a key for twenty minutes and you've got a fully fledged ambient track'

Eventhough he took the whole 2 Revox/Tape-Loops with jam-jar techniques a stage further from an original idea by the likes of Terry Riley, I love the fact that Eno is being celebrated on TV at last.
In 1974, via interviews in the music weeklies, he explained different techniques and hammered home the point that a 'non-musician' could make music.
This alone was seen as absolute heresy at the time, especially amongst the muso hordes.

I agree he hasn't done anything to equal his recorded work in the 70s, but there again, I like the fact that he's produced a lot of 'mainstream artists' since then- after all, he's just looking out for himself, he must have the future of his own grandkids to think about, whether he has produced any 'mini-Enos' himself, we'll have to wait and see!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 10:55
Got it taped. Was it good? I alarmingly briefly saw him talking about Andrea Corr.

x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 12:28
mojojojo wrote:
Got it taped. Was it good? I alarmingly briefly saw him talking about Andrea Corr.

x

I really enjoyed it, but like most of these Arena/bbc 4 docs, they could be 2 hours and feature more about the way they work etc.
I especially liked hearing about his childhood and the influence of his grandfather.
Eno could talked about cooking breakfast and I'd hang on to every word, such is the power of an old teen hero =8-/

In case anyone missed it, it's on bbc iPlayer now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q9xqk/Arena_Brian_Eno_Another_Green_World/
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 12:58
missed it, but the RTE guide has it down as a repeat tomorrow (Sunday) night as well as the other 2 related things from last night.
So hope that's accurate, have been let down a lot by that rag.
Monolith Cocktail
173 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 13:33
Jim Tones wrote:
mojojojo wrote:

x

I really enjoyed it, but like most of these Arena/bbc 4 docs, they could be 2 hours and feature more about the way they work etc.
I especially liked hearing about his childhood and the influence of his grandfather.
Eno could talked about cooking breakfast and I'd hang on to every word, such is the power of an old teen hero =8-/

In case anyone missed it, it's on bbc iPlayer now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q9xqk/Arena_Brian_Eno_Another_Green_World/

It wasn't a bad show and yes Brian has a certain tone that always sounds interesting, though there was a lot of gimmicks especially the iPhone product placement!

Would have been good to get more details on his working practice instead of arty drawn out shots of his Apple computer!

Also made him out to have invented far more then he actually did and skimmed over his time spent with Cluster. For my money Holgar Czukay and Irmin Schmidt were far more influential and pushed the envelope further.

Must say could have done without U2 and Coldplay - which after all were just done for the money lets be honest.

My mum met him once when he was staying at a hotel she worked in as a cleaner, he was really nice and gave her a signed CD to pass on to me, which I thought was nice.

Dom V - Monolith Cocktail
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index