Re: Your Top Bowie tracks
Jan 09, 2010, 01:10
Like what?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 09, 2010, 01:31
Jan 09, 2010, 01:28
Have to come back to you on that.... seem to remember stuff like Chapter 24 and Gnome etc. The Floyd CDs are at the back of the pile somewhere.

8)
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 01:46
I bought that Piper At The Gates Of Dawn cd in the cloth cover. I haven't taken the wrapping off it yet. Seems a shame to somehow!
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 03:02
But Dave! You've not heard Bowie's Musikladen performance of "Heroes" from May 1978.

Adrian Belew on guitar, as well.

It's absolutely as good as the studio version. Check it out! Ye shall be converted.

x
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 03:09
Ha!

My iPod does this hyphenated thing between "Future Legend" and "Diamond Dogs" on that very album.

"THIS AIN'T ROCK & ROLL, THIS IS...GENOCIDE!"

then a goofy space, then into "Diamond Dogs". It wasn't a satisfying listening experience. I figured out how to take the spaces out between tracks, thus reliving my fantasy of having Dave croon into my ears, unmolested.

So to speak.

;-D
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 03:14
Whew, it's damn warm in here.

Is he wearing denim head to toe?

We yankee's call that an Alabama Tuxedo!

x
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 03:20
That clip is from Musikladen 78 and I've always thought they look like they're having a great time. It's my belief that Adrian Belew was born with a guitar in his hand.

Fantastic synergy and Bowie's in a great mood.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 06:14
dave clarkson wrote:
...thats why Heroes is my fave Bowie album. It's Bowie's 'Sgt Pepper'

8)

A contentious point Clarkie but the more I think about it, the more i'm inclined to agree. It's pretty well faultless (even counting 'Sons of the silent age' whose Muzak tendencies are overshadowed by some pretty far-out lyrics).

Is is the motorik subtext? Is is the walking bass? Is it the Fripp/Belew guitar union? Is is the weirdly-gated vocal effect? Or those deep, rich synth textures?

It changed my life, musically speaking.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jan 09, 2010, 10:34
Jan 09, 2010, 10:00
vince wrote:
Is it the Fripp/Belew guitar union?

No!

Not splitting hairs.....but!....

Adrian Belew wasn't on any recordings of what turned up on the "Heroes" album.

He was playing guitar with Zappa at the time.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

"Heroes" and other 'favourites' played in a different way....
Jan 09, 2010, 10:31
Just thinking again about this subject i.e. the song "Heroes" being played live and the masterpiece that is the studio one.....

.....it's one of those ultra clever songs that just uses minimum chords and structure, yet can be played in so many different ways, whether it's the harp like drone if played solo on a 12-string guitar or the full-on shimmering syntherama of a 'full-band' job.

I remember seeing that Bowie/Yentob "Cracked Actor" Docu for the first time as a teenage fan, I was horrified at some renditions of songs like "Moonage Daydream"- but then got into his perverse type of idea of 'de-flowering' these most sacred songs.

That said, the 'plastic' soul-train reworking of some 'classics' was sometimes a bit much to handle.
Still, always the entertainer!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index