UK Reggae Greats

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Re: UK Reggae Greats
Dec 18, 2009, 19:09
I wonder if this rings any bells, i think it's a great slice of UK reggae c.83 ( not sure when this live footage was recorded but the fashions kinda indicate mid-80's ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCisoG0SLVY

Anyway, they were from Nottingham and received a fair bit of play from Peel back in the day.

P.S. Try as i might i never managed to track down a copy back then so many thnaks to sometime HH poster Kozmik Ken for furnishing me with a digital copy a few years back.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Dec 18, 2009, 21:04
Apologies if they're mentioned elsewhere in this somewhat diverted thread, but Zion Train are flipping excellent.

I'm not familiar with all of their output, but of those I know "Original Sounds of the Zion" and "Rhythm Collision" (Ruts DC remix) come recommended.

http://www.myspace.com/ziontrainindub
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Dec 18, 2009, 21:30
will do! thanks Ian.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Dec 18, 2009, 23:35
Apologies if mentioned above, but as a sad Factory obsessive I feel it would be rude not to mention the label's sole example of the genre:

X-O-Dus - English Black Boys/See Them A Come 12"

Produced by Denis Bovell, lovely Peter Saville sleeve, lyrics about Martin Webster (then a leading light in the National Front, kind of the equivalent of that nice Mr Griffin these days).

Do the Slits count?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 19, 2009, 13:00
Toni Torino wrote:
And, of course, Johnny Reggae by Piglets....

in his fringe and buckle stompers and his two-tone tonic strides...

Cripes, that record was almost as bad as 10CC's "Dreadlock Holiday", albeit without the racist undertones.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 19, 2009, 14:42
thesweetcheat wrote:
Apologies if mentioned above, but as a sad Factory obsessive I feel it would be rude not to mention the label's sole example of the genre:

X-O-Dus - English Black Boys/See Them A Come 12"

Produced by Denis Bovell, lovely Peter Saville sleeve, lyrics about Martin Webster (then a leading light in the National Front, kind of the equivalent of that nice Mr Griffin these days).

Do the Slits count?

Yeah that was an OK-ish reggae 12" -- think I liked the cover art better than the record, though. Yeah from what I heard that band went though alot of racism in the Manchester scene at the time...
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Dec 20, 2009, 01:17
Don't know if any of these have already been mentioned but all are well worth checking out.

Lee Scratch Perry - Super Ape
Jah Lion - Columbia Colly
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
Max Romeo - War Inna Babylon

In fact, virtually anything Perry produced at the Black Ark is just sublime.

Also look up Mad Professor, King Tubby, Scientist, Johnny Clarke, Horace Andy, Might Diamonds, Cornell Campbell, Burning Spear, Roots Radics, Martin Campbell, Dixie Peach... I could go on and on. It's a bit of a bottomless subject!

Jah Tubbys label is currently releasing loads of top notch new roots.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Dec 20, 2009, 01:19
BUBBLEHEAD wrote:
P.S. Try as i might i never managed to track down a copy back then so many thnaks to sometime HH poster Kozmik Ken for furnishing me with a digital copy a few years back.

Aye up BH! Been a while. Was it Jah Warrior?
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Dec 20, 2009, 06:47
Hi Ken, hope you're well. It's The Natural-ites doing Picture On My Wall.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 20, 2009, 11:31
That song seemed to be a major Peel fav at the time. Seem to remember him playing it loads.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index