58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 05, 2009, 01:01
LP’S
BBC SESSIONS – Buzzcocks
As much as I love the Buzzcocks a lot of this is pretty rubbish, with too many examples of the 90’s version of the band performing inferior versions of your old faves from the 70’s.

FLOORED GENIUS 4 – Julian Cope
Yeah, well worth getting!

GRAVE DISORDER / SO, WHO’S PARANOID? – The Damned
Played the two of them back to back, and surprisingly I think SWP might just pip it!

THE REAL NEW FALL ALBUM (COUNTRY ON THE CLICK) – The Fall

SOUNDS FROM THE ELECTRONIC GARDEN – Jonteknik
Opens like Everything Is Wrong-era Moby, but there’s a big Kraftwerk influence on this 2009 release. Really enjoyable.

S/T - KATE & ANNA McGARRIGLE
I loved the track they did on So It Goes circa ’76 and years later I bought this. Oops! Wrong LP!! And I wasn’t keen on it. Decided to dig it out again after watching that Transatlantic Folk session last week. Still not really my cup of tea really, but some of it’s OK. Must get round to getting the right LP sometime!

ANIMAL RIGHTS – Moby
You know, the one where the disco man went hardcore. I always think that this didn’t work, but actually there’s a few tracks I like, including the opening instrumental Now I Let It Go, which is rather lovely and most unlike most of the stuff here (though there’s another pretty one at the end). The bonus disc, Little Idiot, is lovely though.

KRAM – Moebius

POWER, CORRUPTION & LIES – New Order
Surprisingly I probably enjoyed Ultraviolence most. Still think 586 is a bit cack, mind.

THE DEVIL YOU & ME – The Notwist
Considering Neon Golden is one of my all-time top albums, I've not really given this enough listens. Good but not in that class, though as I didn’t like NG at first time may prove differently.

NIGHTLIFE – Pet Shop Boys
Late 90’s release that seemed disappointing at the time, but which has proved a real grower. I Don’t Know What You Want is one of their finest ever 45’s and the almost Village People-like New York City always puts a smile on my face.

OUTSIDE LOVE - Pink Mountaintops
Reminds me of Bill Callahan at times, and Blur on one track!

AT THE BBC – The Pixies

LEGO DUB – The Revolutionaries
...or by The Ossie All-Stars as it’s listed on the cd. It was always The Revolutionaries at the time. Whatever this is a must for any reggae fan.

11/6 12/10 – Tarwater
Only just managed to get this one, though it turns out I knew some of the stuff here. I love them. And this sounds great, too.

45’s
MY KINGDOM – Future Sound Of London
Colossal 90’s ep. A great way to spend 30 minutes of your life.

NEU SMELL EP – A Flux Of Pink Indians

BROWN PAPER BAG – Roni Size / Reprazent
Includes a great remix by Photek.

1st EP / DATE WITH THE NIGHT – Yeah Yeah Yeahs

MAKING PLANS FOR NIGEL – XTC
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index