Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 23, 2009, 00:53
O.k you can count me as an uber-fan and i dont mind being called that but i'd like to say my bit and hopefully i would not be too wildly off the mark or bum licky.

this was the description of what you could expect on the festvals website...

"Julian cope's action group black sheep are a leathery ten-piece ensemble of outsider reprobates whose spirited performances upon massed orchestral percussion, mellotron 400s and massed acoustic guitars summon dead ancestors and memories of times past in an effort to achieve total psychic meltdown".

First of all this band/project whatever you want to call it is no joke, everyone in the band is really vibed up about the whole thing, it seems to have no boundries, which i also find quite exciting if not always pleasing to my silvery ears.

By now though i really would have thought that anyone who knows anything about copey should just not expect anything and expect the unexpected. He dosnt stick to the rules , he dosnt even stick to his own fucking rules. I went without really having any ideas of what might happen but i feel mighty stupid that i asked julian to 'play us a love song' hahah, if only i had known what they planned.

I dont think it was a total mess or unlistable. The only thing i can compare it too, in ethos and sometime content is yoko's part in the plastic ono band, its an interchangeble thing, it has different members a few with differnt musical backgrounds or even experience but they have a shared vision and bond, its organic and sometimes groovy and sometimes painful. I thought the black sheep were valliant in the face of several cock ups. It was tribal, it was loud even without the power, it was raising power! It was a testosterone fuelled war cry and at times really fucking groovy and at other times really delicate. It was really fucking local too which i liked, you know they landed on your patch and their talking to you, about your home, so listen up. Silence is a void to be filled, i think by listening with your western ears all the time you aint gonna get it (and i dont think i actually totally get it) if your only looking for the musician and the melody, but if your looking for the poets, shamens and warriors then you see and hear something else, it might still sound like a mess at times but i can ride with that, it was a spectacular performance in what ever way you see it, it was a show, it aint the kind of thing thats gonna be available for download, it was outside and face to face thing, and i for one am glad that there are people like him around and his crazy mates, he's a fucking mentalist, and in his own words he's "allways been a bit of a challenge".

you know what i really think "You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time." or you can just not give a fuck and please yourself and see who wants to join your trip.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Mr. Know-It-All Here
Sep 23, 2009, 00:56
Sorry, not been around 'til now.

Hmmm. Well, if it was, I got the feeling that not many people got the message! ;^)

(The messages I was referring to are the ones Julian - usually puts in his lyrics, all over his album sleeves & in the Drudion etc.)

love

Moth
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 00:57
Amen

x
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 01:07
Not 'Objective' grasp......Opinion.
I'm not OK with everything.
I suppose i'm "Prejudiced" that way.
But i'm done with this thread.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 01:07
MARTASE wrote:
Take for example 'War/Peace' (often mentioned in these threads) from KMSA- tis easy to judge/slag/laugh off/get 'bored with' aint it? Cant say I've listened to it MANY times myself but given the right mental state it can have an extraordinary psychic effect on the listener.Well this one anyway....

Of course opinions vary but to polarise the thing into either recognising the 'truth' or being a duped defender of the Artist's pisstake ( sure Julians having a BIG laugh at all those defending his recent'deplorable crap')is NOT WORTHY OF THIS SITE! But hey... Freedom of speech and all....

I haven't noticed anyone slagging it off. A few people have said they don't like it. In fact quite a few of us that didn't enjoy the gig have said we DO like a lot of what Julian's been doing lately.

Tbh, I'm not a big fan of the BBC session & stuff like War/Peace, but would have preferred it to what I heard/saw on Sunday.

But as I tried to make clear, I'm not criticising Julian's right to play what he likes how he likes, I just said he's lost me atm & speculated about the effectiveness of it in communicating any message - something that's usually very close to Julian's heart.

love

Moth
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2009, 01:15
Sep 23, 2009, 01:13
Creating a Psychic Effect as War/Peace does and was surely designed to do has always been an element of Julians music hasn't it? The challenge of that piece is I think the message thats being conveyed. And the message is Open Your Minds. Perhaps?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 01:28
I'm not sure any of us were that surprised - it's not like we went expecting a JC's greatest hits set!

Personally, I guess I slightly underestimated what it'd be like, coz was just a bit surprised that it wasn't more like KMSA & that there wasn't ANY of Unruly Imagination/busking tour-type stuff etc.

Anyway, I think I've done my thoughts to death now....

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2009, 01:34
Sep 23, 2009, 01:32
I'm pretty sure I opened my mind to War/Peace - and yes that sort of thing has always been a part of Julian's music (off & on, at least). Like I say, I'm not a big fan of War/Peace etc but haven't slagged it off.

All I said about any messages was that I'm not sure many people got any messages.

Anyway, I'm repeating myself now.

love

Moth
landells
landells
680 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 02:02
WOW
!!!
xxx

My mind is still computing what happened on Sunday night... it's changing all the time
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 10:00
U a bum licky!

Running fer cover....eeep!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index