Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 10:03
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 September 2009 CE
Sep 07, 2009, 08:50
Louis Andriessen / Bang on a Can - Industry
Aggressive, breathless, repetetive. You could call it Minimalism at a pinch but there is nothing minimal about it. Test Department meets Stravinsky. In a good way.

Budgie - Never Turn Your Back / In For The Kill / Bandolier
Superior blues rock / metal Sturn und Drang. Tight and largely economical with the rare ability to go beyond "baby, baby, baybeeee .... ride my stallion" school of songwriting. Very few second tier bands of the mid 70s managed to keep a hold of their live sound in the studio, a combination of technical incompetence and record company meddling. Budgie were one of the exceptions, a band that never had even half an eye on soft rock Dollars.

Me'Shell - The World Has Made Me The Man Of My Dreams
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
These records seemed to come and go without much comment in the UK but two of the most interesting records of the last couple of years. Now that's what I call Progressive.

Fugazi - Repeater
Not sure why the English are so sniffy about Fugazi. Maybe it is because Mackaye walks the proverbial walk when it comes to the punk rock ethos. And the straight edge thing probably doesn't help. Next to The Pop Group theirs are the first post punk records I recommend to people and this is probably the nearest they got to matching the iconic 13 Songs

Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe
A very different record to Irish Tour but this is the other essential Rory album. One of the rare blues rockers of the era whose music was neck deep in Americana but didnt try and sound American.

Thin Lizzy - Nightlife
An atypical and very relaxed sounding Lizzy album but the one that got them across to a wider audience and set them up for the run of hits. Has a rolling "Eat A Peach" feel to it.

Mahogany Rush - Strange Universe
Hendrix influenced (like Kingdom Come were Zep "influenced") but still very worthwhile progressive blues rock. It's leaning slightly more towards Band of Gypsies / isle of Wight Jimi than the tighter Redding and Mitchell line up. No bad thing. If the Jazz pantheon kicked out everyone who was influenced by Parker or Coltrane there wouldn't be much left to listen to. This is the American equivalent of Bridge of Sighs / From Earth Below and those are pretty good records. If you like this sort of thing. The schtick was that Jimi spoke to him in his hospital bed. Which is probably no less true than Paul being dead, Klaatu being The Beatles or the MC5 being gun toting revolutionaries.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index