Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 September 2009 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 September 2009 CE
Sep 07, 2009, 11:21
Tangerine Dream - Encore, Ricochet, Bootleg Boxset Vol 1 (the Albert Hall concert in particular), Phaedra.
Going through another Tangs phase. Usually I tend to listen to these as late night, ambient listening, but this week I've been turning them up loud and revelling in the booming bass sounds.

Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Minstrel in the Gallery & various others
In preperation for seeing them at Weyfest last Saturday. They were great btw, Ian Anderson remains a fabulous showman.

Black Sabbath - Sabotage

Camel - Nude, Rain Dances

Caravan - If I Could Do It Again, Waterloo Lily

The Heads - Tilburg

Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar
Love this to bits. Unfortunately my vinyl is a bad pressing (despite having the best album cover in years), so I think I'll have to get this on CD too.

XTC - Drums & Wires
Still sounds as fresh to my ears as the day it was released. Good to dig this out again, it sounded great in the car.

Korpiklaani - Karkelo

ELP -Brain Salad Surgery

Jah Wobble - The Inspiration of William Blake
To accompany my reading of Peter Akroyd's book. Sounds better to me now than it did when I first got it.

Hawkwind - In Search of Space
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 12:20
Sep 07, 2009, 12:19
IanB wrote:

Fugazi - Repeater
Not sure why the English are so sniffy about Fugazi. Maybe it is because Mackaye walks the proverbial walk when it comes to the punk rock ethos. And the straight edge thing probably doesn't help. Next to The Pop Group theirs are the first post punk records I recommend to people and this is probably the nearest they got to matching the iconic 13 Songs

I'm not aware of any sniffiness about Fugazi.. er.... In my experience they've always been named as a benchmark, even here in the UK. They are one of my favourite bands though. 'In on the killtaker' though is better than 13 songs I reckon, its pushing things a lot more. My favourite Fugazi moments are when they are experimenting more with their dynamics. 'Steady diet of nothing' the B-side of that, Long division into Runaway Return is just perfect.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Sep 07, 2009, 12:41
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing/Insignificance/The Visitor
Herve Perez & Martin Archer - The Inclusion Principle
v/a - Watch How the People Dancing: Unity Sounds from the London Dancehall
v/a - Fonotone Records boxset
Lift to Experience - The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads
Half Man Half Biscuit - This Leaden Pall
v/a - James Murphy & Pat Mahoney Fabriclive 36
Las Malas Amistades - Jardin Interior/Patio Bonito
Hank Williams - Gospel Keepsakes
v/a - Capt Beefheart's Jukebox
Barmy Army - Sharp as a Needle
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Sep 07, 2009, 13:03
Kasai Allstars - in the 7th moon, the chief turned into a swimming fish and ate the head of his enemy by magic

Sly & The Family Stone - Complete Woodstock Set + Stand! (2 cd)

Wooden Shjips - Contact 12"

Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

Uncut - Seeing For Miles magazine cover cd

The Birds - These Birds Are Dangerous

Rolling Stones - Satanic Majesties Request
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Sep 07, 2009, 13:46
damon - song of a gypsy - weird but hits the spot apart from the tracks being too short when they get in the groove

neil young remasters - gorgeous!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 14:42
Sep 07, 2009, 14:27
Pretty much everyone I know involved in music in London is very snooty about Ian Mackaye. If they have even heard of him in the first place. Could well be plain old cultural anti-Americanism or mistrust / jealousy of someone with that much of a work ethic. The old English thing of the importance of not being seen to try too hard.

What I love about 13 Songs is that it sounded like they had sat down and listened to Entertainment and Y and the Au Pairs AS FANS and decided to better those records rather than just ape them. You are quite right that they got more adventurous later but for 40 minutes of relentless bang-on playing with great songs and no concessions to fashion ,taste or "modern rock" radio 13 Songs is right up there with all the classics of the English scene. A Desert Island disc for those days when you just can't off the mat. Steady Diet is pretty great too though.

Have you seen the Instrument film?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 14:34
Sep 07, 2009, 14:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
Tangerine Dream - Encore, Ricochet, Bootleg Boxset Vol 1 (the Albert Hall concert in particular), Phaedra.
Going through another Tangs phase. Usually I tend to listen to these as late night, ambient listening, but this week I've been turning them up loud and revelling in the booming bass sounds.

In preperation for seeing them at Weyfest last Saturday. They were great btw, Ian Anderson remains a fabulous showman.

I love "Ricochet" and "Minstrel". The sound of being 14. I think I may have even got them at the same time. And "Stand Up" is a wonderful record.

There seem to be a lot of people rediscovering mid 70s Tull at the moment(apart from "Too Old" of course). They seem to come up in conversation quite a lot. Can't all be down to Saxondale.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 07, 2009, 14:57
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

I love "Ricochet" and "Minstrel". The sound of being 14. I think I may have even got them at the same time. And "Stand Up" is a wonderful record.

There seem to be a lot of people rediscovering mid 70s Tull at the moment(apart from "Too Old" of course). They seem to come up in conversation quite a lot. Can't all be down to Saxondale.

Tull played a big chunk of Stand Up on Saturday - great to hear.

As for Ricochet, in my first Tangs "phase" I always looked at that one as the beginning of the end, but I've been re-assessing it of late.
keith a
9565 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 15:16
Sep 07, 2009, 15:14
LP’S

THE UNRULY IMAGINATION – Black Sheep

RITE TIME – Can
On A Beautiful Side Of A Romance, the opening track on this belated last gasp Can LP, is a thing of real beauty. Karoli’s guitars pierce, Liebezeit’s drums clatter whilst the Jah Wobble-like bass lines allows the whole thing to breath with a beautiful use of space. (I’m not sure who’s playing this is as Czukay and Karoli are both credited with bass, though as the former had played with Wobble by this time I’m wondering if this was an influence?). You probably won’t find this number in many people’s lists of favourite Can tracks but you’ll definitely find it mine. There’s some other good stuff here, including the closing In The Distance Lies The Future, which for some reason, was omitted from the vinyl version.

S/T – Alan Vega

S/T - Wooden Shjips

45’S

LISTEN TO THIS – DJ Hell Feat Alan Vega
I only recently got this 12” single from a few years back, but am liking it a lot. Anyone who likes the idea of hearing a dancey record with the occasional Vega scream over the top should explore pronto!

SLEEP FREAK – Heavy Stereo

GIVE ME EVERYTHING- Magazine

HEAD ON - JAMC
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 16:34
Sep 07, 2009, 16:34
Yes, I've seen instrument. Lord Lucan from here got me a copy of it, I really like it. Loved the bit when they were talking about peoples image of them, all living together in a house with no heating etc. Its a great film, amazing how it travels through the years and stays static, but thats Jem Cohen. The Soundtrack CD is very good too.

I've always been a fan of Jem Cohens films, 'Drink Deep' is amazing. Unfortunately I still haven't managed to see 'Smoke' yet, which I must do. I like Benjamins music, 'Heaven on a Popsicle Stick' and 'Another Reason to Fast', not so keen on the Opal Foxx Quartet stuff though.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index