Hush Arbors : Hush Arbors

Conrad Schnitzler : ROT

Merzbow : Merrzow
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 September 2009 CE
Sep 06, 2009, 17:57
Man 'Endangered Species' - the last Man album to feature Mickey Jones and Deke Leonard as axe-wielding sparring partners, this is an overlooked gem in their impressive canon;

Barclay James Harvest 'Everyone Is Everybody Else' - fine album from 1974 featuring the glorious 'Negative Earth', my joint fave ever BJH ditty alongside the first album's 'The Sun Will Never Shine';

Led Zeppelin 'Physical Graffiti' - as usual, mainly the perfect first record, but dipping into more of the second than ever before: I'm particularly digging 'Sick Again' right at the end;

Cluster & Eno 'Cluster & Eno' - short but sweet album of genuinely interesting ambient explorations. I see this is being reissued this week, alongside the equally impressive 'After The Heat';

Happy Mondays 'Bummed' - the delightfully chaotic, natural and unique sound of the Mondays before they got over-produced and remixed into oblivion;

and John Nelson's unsung Beethoven symphony cycle with the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, performed with small forces but modern instruments: an acceptable antidote to the overdriven and overrated Norrington set that has had critics purring for twenty years - I've never understood why.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Sep 06, 2009, 19:37
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Happy Mondays 'Bummed' - the delightfully chaotic, natural and unique sound of the Mondays before they got over-produced and remixed into oblivion;

And boasting a late example of the Martin Hannett "recorded in a coal scuttle" production style. Not to mention "tasteful" inner sleeve...
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Sep 06, 2009, 20:14
Lykke Li - Youth Novels. A lush album with some inspired moments, I'd love to hear a full-on wall style of sound remix of this album.
Cowboys International - The Original Sin. Ressurected from the crates, still sounds good.
Southerngold - A Santigold mix tape by Terry Urban & Gold Coin. Good in parts.
NASA - The Spirit of Apollo - Hmmmm still needs some more playing first couple of listens seems a little messy.
Ultravox by Ultravox - Another from the crates, wonderful John Foxx.
Up Bustle and Out - Mexican Sessions - Fantastic Cumbia soaked beats.
Jay Z - At Studio One - Another treatment of the Black Album, wierdly most of it kinda works not as good as the ninja treatment, The Xen Album.
Jonsi and Alex - Riceboy Sleeps. Lovely lovely.
ta ra
f
a23
a23
1004 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2009, 20:56
Sep 06, 2009, 20:55
MV/EE - astral bleachers big moment

MV/EE - Deep space circuit - some lovely chilled drone on this double release

90 degrees south - a distant memory of home - music for lost penguins, i think

Nick Grey - Thieves amongst thorns

ROC - s/t trip hoppy thing from about '95

German Oak - German oak

Love - Forever Changes

Far Out - S/T

Psychic TV - Heaven is her/e; The origin of the species

The Beatles - Revolver - looking forward to hearing the new mixes

High Mountain Tempel - Glass Bead Game
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Sep 06, 2009, 22:42
Graham Coxon : The Spinning Top 2009
Great Record, Graham's Acoustic Guitar playing is just incredible on this record.

Bill Fay : Tomorrow Tomorrow and Tomorrow Recorded 1978 - 1982
Very Un-Sung Piano Playing song writer/singer. Very Timeless sounding.

Bob Segar : Brand New Morning 1972
Not Like any of his other records. Nearly all acoustic guitar and piano. Summons up summer of 72 perfectly.

J.J. Cale : Various tunes off a best hits of sorts that i recorded onto a Cassette tape in the early 90's off of his album catalog to that date.
J.J. Cale is probably one of the most important American song writers of the 20th century.

Jethro Tull : This Was {1st l.p.}
I just love anything with Mick Abramson playing guitar on it.

Dion : Can't help but wonder where i'm bound. 1965
Heavy Blues and Dylan stuff. His first L.P. from the "GUT". Excellent.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Sep 06, 2009, 22:43
Motorhead-Bomber,Another Perfect Day, On Parole
Sam Gopal-Escalator
High Tide-Sea Shanties
Joe Satriani-The Ultimate
Les Miserables
Evita
The Lion King
Terminal City Ricochet-OST
Floyd-Hamburg '71
Roxy Music-Stranded & a Bryan Ferry best of
Bong - Novum Castellum
Pink Fairies-Finland Freakout
Michael Munroe-Not Fakin' It
Loop-The World In Your eyes
James Blackshaw-O True Believers

been reading comics too Puma Blues, Watchmen & Sandman, just starting on Swampthing
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2009, 22:50
Sep 06, 2009, 22:49
Curve- Radio Sessions.
The Partridge Family- Album.
The Pink Fairies- What A Bunch of Sweeties.
Roxy Music- S/T.
Talk Talk- The Colour of Spring.
The Cure- Boys Don't Cry.

Not a lot to say about that lot really; comfort music, I think, after a few days away at my mum's without any of my own tunes to hand, and old favourites kept leaping into my head that I wanted to hear when I got back. Oh, the Curve and Partridge Family LPs I bought for 99p and 80p respectively in a Halifax charity shop. I now have all the first three Partridge Family albums... the third (Sound Magazine) is the best, i think this is universally acknowledged.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2009, 10:03
Sep 07, 2009, 08:50
Louis Andriessen / Bang on a Can - Industry
Aggressive, breathless, repetetive. You could call it Minimalism at a pinch but there is nothing minimal about it. Test Department meets Stravinsky. In a good way.

Budgie - Never Turn Your Back / In For The Kill / Bandolier
Superior blues rock / metal Sturn und Drang. Tight and largely economical with the rare ability to go beyond "baby, baby, baybeeee .... ride my stallion" school of songwriting. Very few second tier bands of the mid 70s managed to keep a hold of their live sound in the studio, a combination of technical incompetence and record company meddling. Budgie were one of the exceptions, a band that never had even half an eye on soft rock Dollars.

Me'Shell - The World Has Made Me The Man Of My Dreams
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
These records seemed to come and go without much comment in the UK but two of the most interesting records of the last couple of years. Now that's what I call Progressive.

Fugazi - Repeater
Not sure why the English are so sniffy about Fugazi. Maybe it is because Mackaye walks the proverbial walk when it comes to the punk rock ethos. And the straight edge thing probably doesn't help. Next to The Pop Group theirs are the first post punk records I recommend to people and this is probably the nearest they got to matching the iconic 13 Songs

Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe
A very different record to Irish Tour but this is the other essential Rory album. One of the rare blues rockers of the era whose music was neck deep in Americana but didnt try and sound American.

Thin Lizzy - Nightlife
An atypical and very relaxed sounding Lizzy album but the one that got them across to a wider audience and set them up for the run of hits. Has a rolling "Eat A Peach" feel to it.

Mahogany Rush - Strange Universe
Hendrix influenced (like Kingdom Come were Zep "influenced") but still very worthwhile progressive blues rock. It's leaning slightly more towards Band of Gypsies / isle of Wight Jimi than the tighter Redding and Mitchell line up. No bad thing. If the Jazz pantheon kicked out everyone who was influenced by Parker or Coltrane there wouldn't be much left to listen to. This is the American equivalent of Bridge of Sighs / From Earth Below and those are pretty good records. If you like this sort of thing. The schtick was that Jimi spoke to him in his hospital bed. Which is probably no less true than Paul being dead, Klaatu being The Beatles or the MC5 being gun toting revolutionaries.
MissingRobot
6 posts

Sep 07, 2009, 10:41
YouTube ukulele music. Exclusively. Julia Nunes, the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, George Formby (although that's not a proper ukulele) and the myriad of 'into the webcam' ukulele cover artists. I really must get into some proper Hawaiian stuff...

My life has been changed by the ukulele.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index