Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16 August 2009 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 16 August 2009 CE
Aug 17, 2009, 08:41
got that this week too, only familiar with what was on Decade.
did yours come with the 'Neil Young of Buffalo Springfield' sticker too?
is that something that was attached to the original on release?
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 08:45
there is a 1/2 hr dvd available, semi makes up for not being in the same room as them playing live. I'd guess, not having seen it, have meant to get it though.
The Xeroid compi's great.
& weird philosophical thing in that they refused to release anything by themselves at the time but several members went onto launch record labels that documented US punk quite effectively.
Stevo
Np James Brown Singles vol 7 Superbad
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 09:49
paradox wrote:
Queen II.

Good call, and in my top 5 favourite albums of all time!

As Moonie states, it's complete bonkers and all the better for it, and now i want to plonk Roger Waters in front of my speakers, and watch his cock fall off!

Queen s/t is pretty fooking fantastic too!

Love that album. Gothic glam metal. Brian May still sounds like he wants to play power chords and be Mick Ronson as well as do that wheeee wheeee thing he perfected later. The camper aspects are still balanced out by the rock and roll - that's what makes it so good I think.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 10:40
Hawkwind – Doremi Fasol Latido probably my fave Hawkwind, absolute gem, never tire of this
Also Quark Strangeness & Charm-finally replaced my battered vinyl with the 2cd remaster, should have done this soon as it was issued, this is how you should remaster an album, all the extras are worth a listen, sounds great, packaged well , 5 stars for Atomhenge, will be checking out the other releases post-haste

Black Sheep –KMSA still floating my boat etc

Cathedral-Garden of Unearthly Delights-cheap as chips from HMV with a scratch & sniff disc, BIG ROCK record, with a 25 min progmetal epic to finish, now that Sleep are mostly defunct Cathedral are the worlds best Sabbath tribute with the exception of Heaven & Hell

Led Zeppelin-How the West Was Won-This is how to release a classic live band on CD

Deep Purple-Live In Japan-see above

Sabbath-Live at Last –this isn’t, I’m biased towards the Sabs as I love everything except the Gillan abortion but even I can see that Sabbath could be better served in the live CD field than with this mish mash. Still it’s Sabbath and therefore you must worship at its feet

Crippled Black Phoenix-Night Raider-quality band, should be a household name, unfortunately the kids are too busy deciding if Lady Gaga is a hermaphrodite to listen to decent music. Youth is indeed wasted on the young

James Blackshaw –Walking Into Gothenburg-live doc of 12string twiddler-v.nice indeed, must catch up on his latest releases

Fearthainne-S/T Cascadian acoustic black metal, I love it, yet to find anyone else who is equally impressed [or even a little bit impressed]

Moss- Tomb of the Blind Drugged-does what it says on the tin, contains a Discharge cover that sounds exactly like Discharge would if they were drugged, blind & in a tomb, as mentioned already does what it says on the tin

Diodaar-The Ash Falls Like Snow On A Hillside what a lovely record, reminds me of a grim Tangerine Dream, I have it on good authority that they have a new & improved CD out soon, I’m excited , you should be too.

IS That the Light I See…?...Or Is It The Gleam In The Devils Eye- N/E supergroup combining Waz Hoola and Bong/Lobster Priest/Basillica just about any band in the NE man M.Vest. A cracking slice of Drone Metal. And brilliant live as I found out last night. Only me though it seems as the audience consisted of the bands mates, a couple of staff of the venue and me. But modest crowd size apart it was superb. It also included something called a Sarz [sic?], which is Turkish. M.Vest is I suspect a bit of a Sabbath head, so we were treated to something that sounded like Tony Iommi fronting a Turkish brothel house band, kept me off the streets & out of trouble and I got a bbr>voicecoil cd which has listed on the instruments played ‘pre –stressed concrete’ it is I’m happy to report unlikely to topple Michael Jackson from his throne as King of Pop, it is also unlikely to trouble the portals of the houses of tune or melody either, but that has never bothered me, and if you are of the same ilk and fancy listening to some overly reverbed rainfall in Whitley Bay get ye forthwith to the home of bbr>voicecoil.
High point of the evening was a photographer appeared upping the crowd by 20%, a mysterious lady having appeared to boost the audience of 2 band members’ friends & old man who should know better. If the photos ever appear I’ll be easy to spot, I was the bald one :^)

I would like to point out that Mr Photographer was not just some bloke doing holiday snaps, he was a full on shape thrower with all the square finger poses and light level technical stuff, he appeared as if by magic, and departed equally mysteriously after doing his photog bit
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 11:10
machineryelf wrote:
It also included something called a Sarz [sic?], which is Turkish.

think it's saz without the r. Think a friend of mine bought one about 15 years back, not sure how well he fared with it cos he then left town, then od-ed.
also think US Kaleidoscope used them.
bit like a long thin lute or an oud.
Stevo
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 12:25
Stevo wrote:

bit like a long thin lute or an oud.
Stevo

thats the one, teardrop body, long thin neck , 4 strings sounded very turkish when it wasn't being echoed,reverbed, overdriven etc
Not sure what a professional sar player would make of it, but he seemed to know his way around it, he started with a big echoey bit, very 1969 pysch for about 10mins, then eased back for a nice bit where the sound of the instrument came through [which I thought was excellent] then finished with 10mins of Turkish Sabbath.
Was billed as Basillica which is the same bloke but way more metaldrones from what I've heard, but he has a new CD out on Turgid Animal which I'm hoping features this sound
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 13:30
If one person did that, they'd think they were sick and not let you on there
But if two people went on there with five part harmony ...

This could be the start of a movement ;-)
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 15:10
...and that's what it is; the Alice's Restaurant anti-masacree movement, and all you gotta do to join is sing along next time it comes round on the guitar...

....just waiting for it to come round on the guitar here....
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 19:25
Quality HMHB choices there!
GeeZa
GeeZa
137 posts

Aug 17, 2009, 20:50
The little furry pets in my house wish I would stop listening to Immortal BUT I CAN'T.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index