18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 31, 2009, 18:26
Re: Krumlin Festival 1970
May 30, 2009, 17:38
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Anyone here know anything about this disastrous event? Also known as the Yorkshire Folk, Blues and Jazz Festival, it had an impressive line-up (Pink Floyd, Groundhogs, Fairport, Pentangle, Pretty Things, Ginger Baker, Fotheringay, Atomic Rooster, Elton John etc), but due to financial mismanagement and appalling weather that laid waste to the site, only a fraction of the advertised bands played and the event was cancelled after two days, with hundreds of fans treated for exposure and other injuries.
See http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Krumlin-festival-1970.html for more info and some bleak photos. The sleeve of The Groundhogs' Split LP was also shot there.

It's a fascinating story, that as far as I know hasn't yet been properly told. I'm working on a lengthy piece on it; it took place very near to where I grew up in Sowerby Bridge and was a part of local mythology all through my childhood (my parents would have attended had my mother not been pregnant with me at the time). I've done a lot of internet research, but I wondered if any heads here had anything to contribute?

Can't help you much there, I'm afraid, except to add that it's been rumoured for years that Nick Drake made one of his final appearances there (it gets a mention in Patrick Humphries' biography). As with most info related to him, though, it's never been fully substantiated, but it could have happened - especially if the rain forced some of the electric bands to move or cancel their slots (as happened at Woodstock).

Unsung Forum Index