18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Edited May 30, 2009, 15:32
Krumlin Festival 1970
May 30, 2009, 15:29
Anyone here know anything about this disastrous event? Also known as the Yorkshire Folk, Blues and Jazz Festival, it had an impressive line-up (Pink Floyd, Groundhogs, Fairport, Pentangle, Pretty Things, Ginger Baker, Fotheringay, Atomic Rooster, Elton John etc), but due to financial mismanagement and appalling weather that laid waste to the site, only a fraction of the advertised bands played and the event was cancelled after two days, with hundreds of fans treated for exposure and other injuries.
See http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Krumlin-festival-1970.html for more info and some bleak photos. The sleeve of The Groundhogs' Split LP was also shot there.

It's a fascinating story, that as far as I know hasn't yet been properly told. I'm working on a lengthy piece on it; it took place very near to where I grew up in Sowerby Bridge and was a part of local mythology all through my childhood (my parents would have attended had my mother not been pregnant with me at the time). I've done a lot of internet research, but I wondered if any heads here had anything to contribute?

Unsung Forum Index