Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2009, 17:57
Re: Peggy Suicide Deluxe Edition 2CD
Sep 17, 2009, 17:57
copefan wrote:
i like MNU and always have!

Great!

I think it's an album with some great tunes that has been pulverised by gross over-production to the point where it's become mediocre.

B-sides of that time and the relevant bits in Repossessed give us an indication of what might have been.

copefan wrote:
Its not fair to rate it against peggy or jehovah and its a lot better than some of the more recent releases.

It's a lot poorer than some of the more recent releases too.

(This is one of those topics that I love/hate - it's all just opinions, isn't it?)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 17, 2009, 19:07
I like MNU too, but not one of my absolute faves....

love

Moth
Brik
586 posts

Sep 17, 2009, 23:52
I was gutted that this edition got messed up. Specially as I spent a whopping £16 which I don't really have only to come home and find FG4's making the rounds. Bah!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Sep 18, 2009, 01:39
copefan wrote:
they seem to have fooked up on this one! But then again nothing new on that score! as for the comment that said ...... You know you're gonna buy it anyway so why complain about it ...... all I can say is Citizensmurf
..... I watch what you say, the sheep will buy it but the wise would rather spend their money on something worth buying!

so where is the re-issue of MNU!

oooooooh yes...... Julian hates this release so everyone here hates it too!

I too am a bit disapointed by the shrunken tracklisting, but I will probably pick it up anyway, if only to get the 12" tracks on cd. BAAAAAA.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 18, 2009, 09:08
Of course, if it's that bad you could all return it & demand your money back - esp if you bought it from somewhere that had the incorrect tracklist. That way, the record co might actually get a little bit of comeback....

Personally, I agree it's a bit disappointing compared to what it could/should be. I was just surprised it finally emerged & it's the best we're gona get, so I'll hang onto it.

love

Moth
common era
865 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2009, 22:28
Sep 18, 2009, 22:27
Brik wrote:
I was gutted that this edition got messed up. Specially as I spent a whopping £16 which I don't really have only to come home and find FG4's making the rounds. Bah!

£16! Wow. Got mine online at hmv.co.uk for £8.99 inc. p + p.

My Nation Underground:

I will admit that I am more than a tad unfair towards My nation Underground. I recall how excited I was when it came out and how much I listened to it and enjoyed it. The shine came off it though after that when Skellington and Droolian followed it and I then started to love 'under production' more than the glossy 'over production'.

MNU, for me, has never stood up to the test of time. There are some great songs on there, but when I hear them it takes me right back to 1989 and everything my naive little world was and stood for at that time.

I wouldn't be against a MNU Deluxe edition, as long as it included unreleased tracks from that era, but first I would like to see a Saint Julian Deluxe edition, one that includes a DVD of the full Westminster Halls gig from Jan 87 that was recorded by the BBC as well as all b-sides, demos and unreleased tracks and glows in the dark and makes tea and does the washing up and drives me home when I'm drunk and answers the phone and pays my bills and smiles and says nice things to me and...
Tripecac
Tripecac
98 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 21:34
Listening to CD1 now... So far the sound quality is fine. My A/B comparisons of this to the original CD revealed very slight differences. Nothing seems to have got as messed up (audio-wise) as on the Jehovahkill reissue.

But the booklet is indeed messed up. Some of the liner notes are missing, and others are duplicated.

No problem; I'll just hang onto the original CD too and wait for the re-reissue in a few years. I don't mind having multiple versions of this awesome album.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 21:55
I agre with you, but I would love to have a deluxe edition of World Shut Your Mouth and Fried!
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Sep 22, 2009, 10:25
copefan wrote:

oooooooh yes...... Julian hates this release so everyone here hates it too!

I've never really voiced my opinion on MNU.

I think it's awful. Sounds like hideously produced 80's rugby songs to my ears.

It was something like the third JC album I bought. He's lucky I didn't give up there and then.

Don't care what his opinion on it is, it's intolerable shite. (except of course the two passable singles, which were still the weakest tracks on Floored Genius)

Out of interest though, was that comment serious? I mean really, music is subjective dude.
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Sep 22, 2009, 13:31
Grabbed the one disc version of this from a local record store who reduced it to €4 in light of the release of the deluxe 2xCD. My first foray into Cope's own music, after reading his Samplers & HH for a long while. As I expected, not much like much of the music he champions, but fucking great all the same.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index