Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: PRS, license to do fuck all.
Mar 10, 2009, 16:37
Kid Calamity wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
As a musician myself I agree with you. However, I can understand where Micmacmoc is coming from. It is a bit much to expect a small shop like his to fork out £300. They would be better charging more realistic amounts. At least then the musicians would get something back from his enterprise. As it is, small businesses will either not play the CDs or will try to do it illegally, neither of which benefits the musician.

I think I agree... But, say, a small gallery cum coffee shop in somewhere like... let's say, Mevagissy - which doesn't sell records, yet uses music to augment the atmosphere its visitors and customers enjoy paid a small contribution, based on type of business/turn over, surely that might be more fair.

Also, say even if they didn't subscribe to PRS - not paying a penny towards the musicians' fund, but were playing a record by someone like... umm, let's say Inkberrow alternatives 'And Also The Trees' - Now, a visitor, whilst at the counter forking out for a seascape painting might ask the slightly bleary eyed manager who the dark melodramatic music's by as they've never heard it before and want to go and get a copy. The band are more likely to get a little more exposure and possibly a record sale as the gallery was effectively advertising their product - whilst using it to effectively help advertise their own.

Isn't it a bit like having the radio on at work?

I thought that was what I was saying! Sort of. Except the radio bit.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index