Youtube to take down music video content in the UK
Mar 10, 2009, 11:44
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/09/youtube_blocks_music_vids_in_uk

Wonder how drastic this will be?
Kid Calamity
9041 posts

Re: Youtube to take down music video content in the UK
Mar 10, 2009, 11:55
Oh shit! People will have to start going to gigs!!
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Re: PRS, license to do fuck all.
Mar 10, 2009, 14:04
I have asked the PRS repeatedly to list which artists are on their books, they refuse. I tell them I will play only unregistered music, they want lists of the recordings, the writers, the artists, musicians etc etc. Not fair, they are theiving scum. They want to charge me over £300 to play my cds in my shop, thats more than we take in a week at the moment.
When I wanted an band to play my 40th,offered £300, no takers. Hard up musicians?!...if I could find one, now the artists in my gallery would walk naked through broken glass for a £300 for a nights work. Spoilt up their own arse musicians want to get real, GET A JOB! We all have to.
Stop taxing us through the PRS so you can swan about turning down work while we pay for you. It is not fair! I understand that 80% of the money they collect goes to 20% of the artists, presumably Bongo, Godolf and fucking Collins.
Fuck the PRS, I shit them.

rant done til next time these scumbags are mentioned.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 14:12
Dang - that reminds me, I forgot to send you some of my CDs for your shop (although I'm still a bit worried all your customers will run away)!
Rockabilly
Rockabilly
206 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 14:19
Squid Tempest wrote:
Dang - that reminds me, I forgot to send you some of my CDs for your shop (although I'm still a bit worried all your customers will run away)!

If we send my daughter to deliver it they will all stay and watch a cute 7 year old do some strange dancing to it!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 14:30
Hehe!
vince
vince
1628 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 14:56
micmacmoc wrote:
I have asked the PRS repeatedly to list which artists are on their books, they refuse. I tell them I will play only unregistered music, they want lists of the recordings, the writers, the artists, musicians etc etc. Not fair, they are theiving scum. They want to charge me over £300 to play my cds in my shop, thats more than we take in a week at the moment.
When I wanted an band to play my 40th,offered £300, no takers. Hard up musicians?!...if I could find one, now the artists in my gallery would walk naked through broken glass for a £300 for a nights work. Spoilt up their own arse musicians want to get real, GET A JOB! We all have to.
Stop taxing us through the PRS so you can swan about turning down work while we pay for you. It is not fair! I understand that 80% of the money they collect goes to 20% of the artists, presumably Bongo, Godolf and fucking Collins.
Fuck the PRS, I shit them.

rant done til next time these scumbags are mentioned.

For some of us humble musicians, PRS provide the only source of income we're ever likely to make. For us PRS = the finance to pay for our next album. Without PRS we would be insolvent.

We are not "on their books". We pay membership & as such expect our info to be protected. They are just doing what we ask of them. They are a non-profit organisation. Remember, the Bono's of this world make up a very small percentage of PRS artosts. 99% of members are struggling to get a few quid.

I wouldn't expect to walk into your shop and take your product for free now would I? So how come it would be okay for you to take ours??

That's my friendly - honest! - rant done.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 15:06
As a musician myself I agree with you. However, I can understand where Micmacmoc is coming from. It is a bit much to expect a small shop like his to fork out £300. They would be better charging more realistic amounts. At least then the musicians would get something back from his enterprise. As it is, small businesses will either not play the CDs or will try to do it illegally, neither of which benefits the musician.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 15:15
when i buy a cd, or when you buy one of my paintings, prints etc then thats it....if you want paying again guess what.....yes, you have to do some more work!

would love some cds for the shop, though cannot play any at the mo as I cannot afford the license!
They will let us pay monthly but charge extra! Insane! Its mad that if it were, say, £25 a year to us small shops everyone in the village would pay bringing in much more money (not that I think ANY should be paid).
At the moment I'm one of the few who bothered to pay ever and am being harassed by them to continue to do so, hardly any of the other shopkeepers pay. Its immensely depressing, frustrating and unfair.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 15:19
I agree that it's an out-dated system...and we musicians NEED the exposure in such businesses too. But unfortunately it's all there is at the moment. And in a weird way I don't even begrudge Bonio et al....if there weren't big artists like that (regardless of how crap they may be) most people wouldn't listen to music radio at all. It's sad but true.

A new model needs to be found and like the rest of 'the biz' PRS don't know which way to deal with the newer technologies.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index