Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sun Of Bytch
Sun Of Bytch
143 posts

Edited Feb 20, 2009, 09:31
Re: New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...
Feb 20, 2009, 09:27
Got this new Donor nine days ago and I am loving it, might be mein favorite Donor. I was in there right from the Invocation and the Invocation has surely joined my favorite Cope poems. For me it was far from being a smelly bi-product I was more like wow, where ya been at? I was really glad Julian was hanging onto this one til 02/09 when it is especially needed.

Like Dee said it does remove you. Skagerrak has been a very heavy meditative. And, when his vocal comes in half way through, incredibly uplifting. It was the loud loud soundtrack to my early morning when I was sitting outside watching three feral roosters strutting around a car lot in a drizzle, pecking anything on the ground that remotely resembled food. They would scatter whenever the bomb sound dropped (personally I cannot get enough of that bomb effect and am happy whenever he drops it).

Also can't get away from Death and its hooky blitz. The whole thing's easy to just play again and again.

Thanks to whoever i.d.'d the white wispiness on the cover as a waterfall, in the b&w I imagined it to be a burning or smoldering ship.

S'O'B

ps--After The Hanging I've found myself returning to Pa Doden's Trae from Drain'd as a kind of "chaser" for extra rigor and vigor.
dee
1955 posts

Feb 20, 2009, 09:41
Its become my most frequent spin!!! Takes me away from the humdrum of daily commuter madness ....down, down .....down into the inner earth.....yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 23, 2009, 17:21
Got mine a couple of days ago. Initial spins did tally with that feeling that it's been let out the paddock too soon, especially seeing as the sleeve i.e just a jewel case job, seems a bit lacking in comparison to the usual, more lavish affairs.

However, a few plays later and it's all coming together for me. It does have that 'cross-section of what Brain Donor is' feel to it. It's certainly less colourful and playful than the older Donor but so's the World it seems. Perhaps the most intriguing release under the Brain Donor banner and I think I'll be immersing myself in it for a few weeks to come yet.

Good stuff!
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Feb 23, 2009, 17:36
Altough it's not my cup of tea, the last track is doing it's job for me, I guess.
starpower
starpower
83 posts

Feb 27, 2009, 18:46
Still haven't heard it, I must order this.
Rev Dr B Honeytop
Rev Dr B Honeytop
5 posts

Mar 02, 2009, 22:15
Hello. I am very, very new here. Extremely new. Virginal, even.

I am ~ well ~ sad. Sent cash for this particular Brain Donor slab. Cash, dang nabbit! Nearly two weeks ago now. Emailed HH to check if they got the sponds, and everything. No reply. Still no CD. Yup, I'm a chump sending real currency. But I don't like chip and pin, see. And cheques... there's too much evidence... a stub! Mrs Honeytop would be asking too many questions. Serious questions I would find it so very hard to answer.

Anyway.

It sounds like a good Brain Donor album, maybe even a challenging one, from what you all say. One day I will know The Truth!

Peace to all HHers.

Rev. Dr. B. Honeytop x x x
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Mar 02, 2009, 22:50
Hi, Rev. Enjoy your stay. Greetings, from Portugal.
Moz
Moz
24 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2009, 23:21
Mar 02, 2009, 23:19
Moz
Moz
24 posts

Mar 02, 2009, 23:22
Well, for what its worth I'm lovin' this LP, particularly tracks 1,2 and 6 (although track 3 doesn't really do anything for me tbh).

People have mentioned a few possible sources of inspiration for this album...Groundhogs, X-ray spex, Sunn O)))...anyone got any other suggestions/recommendations? I'm feelin' rich and wanna buy some new CDs (this seems as good a place to start as any)!

Anyone know why Doggen didn't feature of this LP?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 03, 2009, 09:41
Moz wrote:
Well, for what its worth I'm lovin' this LP, particularly tracks 1,2 and 6 (although track 3 doesn't really do anything for me tbh).

People have mentioned a few possible sources of inspiration for this album...Groundhogs, X-ray spex, Sunn O)))...anyone got any other suggestions/recommendations? I'm feelin' rich and wanna buy some new CDs (this seems as good a place to start as any)!

Anyone know why Doggen didn't feature of this LP?

Doggen features rather heavily! What do you mean?

I must admit I can't see the Groundhogs connection, or Sunn O))) or X Ray Spex for that matter. There might be a touch of Om about it, but apart from that I don't think for me there are any obvious strike-you-in-the-face influences. I'm still really enjoying it btw, my fave Julian output since Black Sheep! ;-)
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index