Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album -
Feb 11, 2009, 22:53
I wanna hear Doggen play with Dragonforce...
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...
Feb 12, 2009, 05:17
Got mine along with Urthona (which I haven't played yet) the other day. Now, I'm a die hard Donor fan, almost more so than any other Cope project (including Cope solo), so I had high hopes. I think it's great, not sure about the synths here and there, but I think they will make sense the more I play it. Recognized the 'Emerging' song from their Thekla live set (and subsequent cdr release of said show), though wasn't it called 'Born, Never Arsed'.

I think any comparisons to LP&F would only come from Doggen's guitar tone/effects set-up on 'Death Becomes You', other than that, I think it's a great piece of Donor and I must have missed the bit in the Drudion about how "we’re planning an even more dramatic follow-up for the near future". Right on.

Now with Spaceship's cd and "The Hanging" featuring SOMA, I wonder what else from that session will turn up on future releases. I think it was originally slated to be an LAMF album.

And attention nerds, added to discogs.com, and if you can think of a better genre than 'Viking Metal' to list this as, then feel free to change it (hey, it's in the list, I just used it).
Bourbonus
Bourbonus
66 posts

Feb 13, 2009, 01:40
Received the new album today, played it about half a dozen times on a loop (as is my way of getting into any new album I buy) and really liked most of it and I'm sure over the next few weeks I'll get into it more and more.

I'm a fan of the "LP&F" and "D'raind Boner" type of Brain Donor albums and cd2 of "Dark Orgasm" reminds me of BD too.

Any news on the new Cope album? I'm 36 so have been there from the start, went a bit around '88 but it's nice to see someone who keeps on bringing out great music and you know that years down the line you'll be picking up bits of noise in the background, certainly a man to hear full blast down the road and on the headphones in the small hours!!

Hope the new CD will be available via HH, if not I'm sure I'll track it down.

Hi to everyone!!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 13, 2009, 01:47
Hello!

The new Black Sheep album is out on Monday via Invada Records according to a post elsewhere on here, but on double vinyl only at this stage.
Bourbonus
Bourbonus
66 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2009, 07:54
Feb 13, 2009, 07:53
Vybik Jon wrote:
Hello!

The new Black Sheep album is out on Monday via Invada Records according to a post elsewhere on here, but on double vinyl only at this stage.

Hi there and morning all!!

Yeah, I'm hearing Monday from one place and the 20th (next Friday) for the new "Apocalypse" album so I think it's best just to keep my eyes peeled and look for it daily on here and Invada.....and hopefully available on here.

Black Sheep was an excellent album, gets played most mornings before I venture outside into the chaos that is a town centre!!
keith a
9570 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2009, 00:02
Feb 13, 2009, 09:31
Out of the mouths of babes...

"Do you think he just does this (Brain Donor) for a laugh? Or just to annoy people?"

(My ten year old on hearing some of the extended, seemingly never ending album finale).
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Feb 13, 2009, 12:51
Kids KNOW!!! ;-)
Bourbonus
Bourbonus
66 posts

Feb 13, 2009, 21:06
keith a wrote:
Out of the words of babes...

"Do you think he just does this (Brain Donor) for a laugh? Or just to annoy people?"

(My ten year old on hearing some of the extended, seemingly never ending album finale).

Yeah it does go on a little bit but it's the one bit of the album I don't like, still an 8/10 album for me.......as for an extended, seemingly never-ending finale (including albums) I think I'd throw Des O Connor to the wall to be shot for crimes aginst my hearing before a Brain Donor album :-)

"Just About Now" works though for me as the pace of the song just gets quicker and quicker, at least it makes you feel like you're getting to the top of a peak after a nice long yomp.

Then again you just have the perfect Donor songs like "Get Off Your Pretty Face", "Like A Mutherfucker" and "Hairy Music"...songs that everyone should know and sing along to.

I'm really getting into the new album, wonder if Julian can do the seemingly impossible and improve on "Black Sheep" with the new solo album....."Black Sheep" was my fave album of last year.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Feb 15, 2009, 00:27
funny thing that lot wasn't it?

my first impression as i waded through the first five or ten minutes was ' you're 'avin' a laugh aren't you?' i also thought of the emperors new clothes.

but i found it by half way through really quite interesting and paused what i was doing on several occasions to just listen. odd things were going on in my head, i'm not sure why but i felt like i'd only half tripped specifically on microdots. it was almost like not quite cumming. left a taste of pizza in my mouth.

the hanging was pretty fucking scarey. it was kinda (to me ) the audio equivalent of the dirty hillside bereft of people gawping at the corpse swinging and the corpse just hanging there limply as life what's left of life is squeezed out of it slowly to the point it's just a drip dripping of energy and memory. scared me a bit as i say. perhaps i was having a flashback or it triggered in me a thought that i had on hallucinogenics once. maybe.

sighs....i dunno. it's not what i'd call a hook laden album by any stretch of the imagination, but the hooks were in me enough to rotate it several times back to back.

didn't feel exhileration afterwards. felt fucking exhausted and sombre.

it won't be a heavy rotation album but i remember the first time i dropped a microdot and the next day the guy who tripped the shit out of the night with me as well just said 'fuck that, i'm not doing that shit again' and i thought to myself. 'i know you aren't' and i kept going back in fucking search of chapel perilous i guess.

that's what this album's like for me. it's decaying, i can smell it.
Ascorpius
Ascorpius
82 posts

Feb 16, 2009, 21:45
Now that I have had the chance to give WFE a really good listening to I think it is an excellent album. It fills the mighty hole between TFTRNRTYTD and DB. I don't think they will ever reach the mighty heights of LP&F which will probably be my favourite JC album of all time. A worthy release all the same, shame about the really crap title.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index