Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...
Feb 08, 2009, 00:04
It could well be my favourite BD album!! Quite dark tho, i played it whilst out shopping this morning, certainly removes you from this world!!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2009, 09:57
Feb 08, 2009, 09:33
It's alright. I love Cope for the songs on the one hand and the deeply meditative inner space journeys on the other so for me this is not essential in the way that Cain'd and Orgasm and Odin are essential.

The Hanging with its X Ray Spex play VdGG / Crimson riff and subsequent Space Riitual like meltdown is the best thing on it but there is none of the armadillos-in-our trousers Fun House vibe of the earliest BD releases. I quite like the bits that sound like they are edits of studio jams.

Listening back to the last one it's as if Brain Donor is the outlet for channelling whatever is currently on Cope's turntable. Me I prefer the way the Dogntank record disitills its influences. With a nod and a wink and from the foundation of the song. Like Cheap Trick. If that record was a pop tart (sugar coated, hot and sticky in the middle) then this is an especially chewy malt loaf. It sounds like a fun record to make and long term it could be quite nourishing just not my kind of fun.

So all in all for 12 quid, unless you especially love the Groundhogs meets Sunn O))) meers Moorcock thing they have going this week, then I'd pick up Spaceship's record first. It's the more satisfying listen of the two. To my ears at any rate.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Feb 08, 2009, 10:03
IanB wrote:

The Hanging with its X Ray Spex play VdGG / Crimson riff and subsequent Space Riitual like meltdown is the best thing on it

I'm with you there

IanB wrote:

So all in all for 12 quid, unless you especially love the Groundhogs meets Sunn O))) meers Moorcock thing they have going this week, then I'd pick up Spaceship's record first. It's the more satisfying listen of the two. To my ears at any rate.

Also agree entirely, Donor are on the to listen pile, the Spaceship CD has been getting some serious pounding over the last few days, as are my ears as it is one basshopper of a CD

The Groundhogs thing is spot on, iI knew it had some early 70s reference point but I was looking across the Atlantic rather than closer to home, probably because Cope doesn't blather on about them as much as he use to
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Re: Hey, Nikinakinoo...
Feb 09, 2009, 14:52
What's your op? Have you heard it yet?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 09, 2009, 15:10
I haven't spotted the Groundhogs thing, will check that on the next listen. Apart from that I concur. Must listen to them both more, but I've a feeling that Spaceship will be getting far more plays at Tempest Towers.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Feb 09, 2009, 15:54
it grows and it grows, its becoming a big tree with branches high in the sky and its roots wwwway down in the earth!! it may yet reach the stars and the core, look out
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 09, 2009, 16:00
hee! I hope so! I've certainly not given up on it.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

New Brain Donor album -
Feb 09, 2009, 17:38
Got it today, listened to it once. It sounded quite amazing immediately. Like Brain Donor should.

Wonder when this was played/recorded.. Sounds like it coulda been on some L.A.M.F project..

Definitely a much needed add to the BD catalogue.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album -
Feb 10, 2009, 21:25
Finally got to hear it. Glad in a way that "Black Sheep" has stepped away from this style - I felt uncomfortable when Julian crossed his own boundaries when the unmistakably Brain Donorish "Dark Orgasm" was credited to Julian Cope - I still have waking nightmares of Doggen bludgeoning "Sunspots" to death at the Koko gig. So Brain Donor's name against this seems strangely comforting.

Not a fan on dry-wank guitar solos so in my opinion "Dyslexia Rules K.O" is for me the most ineffective track on the entire Cope catalogue. A minute and a half fret rush does not constitute a song IMHO.

Still the album has his merits - particularly the last 28 minute opus - the noise drone that takes up the last few minutes sounds hugely apocalyptic (s'pose it should be on the next LP ha!) and I particularly like "Death Becomes You" - and any doubt I had about Julian's voice being "rocky" enough is dispelled on "Frankenstein".

I know limiting Doggen's excess will emasculate the very notion of Brain Donor itself - but sometimes I wish someone will have a quiet word.....
keith a
9570 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album -
Feb 10, 2009, 21:46
elegant chaos wrote:

I know limiting Doggen's excess will emasculate the very notion of Brain Donor itself - but sometimes I wish someone will have a quiet word.....

Couldn't have out it better myself. The album does get better as it goes on, but I really do detest some of his work on this album.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index