A Place to Bury Strangers

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2008, 18:28
A Place to Bury Strangers
Nov 21, 2008, 23:46
I know their s/t CD is a collection of EPs recorded over a period of five years or so, and that it's been out for a good eighteen months or so now.

Nonetheless, I've just bought the new version with the five bonus tracks and it's a friggin' classic! I'm glad someone has finally bothered to make the decent follow-up to "Psychocandy" that the Jesus & Mary Chain never managed. APTBS have been supporting MGMT in the UK recently, but I'd love to catch them headlining as I've heard they're even louder than MBV when in their prime, reaching a pain-threshold volume level that they probably wouldn't be allowed to generate as a support act.

Anyone else here like them? I know Jasonaparkes has mentioned them at least once.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Re: A Place to Bury Strangers
Nov 22, 2008, 13:05
Saw 'em earlier this year, they were great. As for Psychocandy follow-ups see also Distortion by The Magnetic Fields.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Nov 22, 2008, 14:10
Yeah, I've had it for a while- I'm sure I've raved about it as a soundtrack to our lives at least once. It is indeed brilliant. As you say, Psychocandy meets MBV with a hint of 80s goth- sorry, but it's true- but crucially with state of the art 21st Century production values, reminds me a bit of the sadly-missed Death From Above 1979 too.

I tried to get Stool Pigeon to let me do a feature on them, but for some reason the editor wasn't interested. Yeah, would love to see them live.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 22, 2008, 18:35
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

with a hint of 80s goth- sorry, but it's true-

Yeah, I suppose there is a slight Sisters of Mercy inflection on some songs, as well as the odd Ministry-like industrial touch (mainly on the earlier, drum-machine driven tracks), but I find them warmer and less bombastic than either of those bands.

Do you have the ten-track original or the new version with the five bonus tracks? Apparently the latter songs are the most recently recorded, and IMO they're the best thing on it, which bodes well for future releases.

I added them on our MySpace page and sent a brief message asking if they had any plans to tour over here in their own right. I got a reply from singer/guitarist Oliver saying that their first 'proper' album is due out early next year and that there will be a short UK tour to support it. So looking forward...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 22, 2008, 18:52
Well I just heard them. Better than I expected, although I hate that emo name...

http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Nov 22, 2008, 19:35
Mine's a promo that turned up unsolicited in the post, but it has 16 tracks, though scant information about them. actually I just dug out the press release that came with it and it does say that there are 5 extra tracks from the original, and that it's all been re-mastered. I didn't realise that it was essentially a compilation of EPs etc over a fairly long period of time though.

Apparently the singer/guitarist makes his own effects pedals, which is how he makes a living.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Nov 23, 2008, 13:15
I think the goth-call is fair enough, and sometimes there is a thin line between Joy Division and The Nephilim...

I have played this quite often and like the Wooden Shjips record I like it, despite the influences being quite apparent.

The Mary Chain were very patchy after Psychocandy - especially the Billy Idol-sounds of Automatic...so I don't buy John Harris' notion in the Guarniad that Distortion by Magnetic Fields is pointless as a version of th Mary Chain has reformed and managed to play a few gigs.

It's strange how a lot of the late 80's stuff is in vogue these days - Deerhunter have been compared to Ultra Vivid Scene/Pale Saints/Loop/Cocteau Twins/MBV etc, and now this lot (plus Ladytron and their support, the v patchy - in the live-sense - Asobi Seksu). & with reissues of Loop and Swervedriver it feels like shoegaze city...

The fellow who is a place to bury strangers (a crap name, I concur) is suposed to have produced nice equipment Wilco used on those records with Jim O'Rourke...though I might have read that on wikipedia, so it probably isn't very true...
keith a
9570 posts

Nov 23, 2008, 14:52
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I think the goth-call is fair enough, and sometimes there is a thin line between Joy Division and The Nephilim...

Ha. It's the way he tells 'em...
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Nov 29, 2008, 11:46
The name sucks arse, but the debut collection/compilation has some good points beyond sounding a lot like when the Mary Chain were good. Bar ice and fog I think I'll definitely check out the live version in Brum tonight - though I wonder if the mainman looks like a middle-aged Geography lecturer like Built to Spill rather than Jim Reid? Or maybe he's going for the James Murphy/Homicide Life on the Street Irish cop going to a volleyball game after bagels look?
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Nov 29, 2008, 12:04
Jasonaparkes wrote:
Bar ice and fog I think I'll definitely check out the live version in Brum tonight -

They sound like the kind of band who might rather indulge in the dry ice and fog onstage to me.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index